Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions needed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EttyYanai

Technical User
Jul 1, 2006
US
Hi,
I am getting readu to do a brochure for my son's school ( 20-30 pages) and before I start I want to make sure to set things right from the get go.
I am using pagemaker 7 on a PC. My printer is a Mac user and he told me to save the file as a PPS or EPS so that he could print it. He does not have pagemaker.
I think he also told me to save it as RGB which seems odd to me. I have been reading that CMYK is better for quality of the final printed product.
What should I do or not do when chosing FONTS?
I know I need to make sure they are all embedded.
The cover will have multiple colors but the rest of the pages will be printed using only one ink color (including the photos).
Any pitfalls I should watch out for?
Thanks!
Etty

The printer would have said PDF, not PPS.

Use the Acrobat Distiller PPD to create your PDF, all fonts should be embedded in the PDF, and the resolution should be high, 2400. Images should be TIFF format.

Chack all the detail with your printer before you submit - otherwise the job will take longer and cost more.

There is guidance here. It's a bit out of date but correct in principle.

Guidance about creating PDFs from PM here:

LIVERPOOL FC - FA Cup Winners 2006.
Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

>>I think he also told me to save it as RGB which seems odd to me. I have been reading that CMYK is better for quality of the final printed product.<<

Depends on how this is getting printed. If it is to be printed digitally rather than offset, it is possible the printer requested the images be left as RGB, as many digital printers have internal software for conversion to CMYK. If you present CMYK files, it may be that there will be a double conversion, to the detriment of the final colours. Check again with your printer as to whether he wants the doc as RGB.

I see!
Thanks for the info, I will talk to him again and get a clarification.
Etty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back