Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for training in WSH and VBScript

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnpIII

Technical User
May 2, 2001
US
Hello All,

I have been writing non- administrative, non- HTML or ASP scripts for about a year now.
I know I am lacking in some very basic knowledge that would assist in finishing these scripts quicker and more efficiently.
I have looked on the internet for training and all I really see is stuff for Windows 2000 system admins.
I am an IT tech, the programmer for the team (that's not saying much) and don't need any admin stuff or really any HTML stuff.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can read or take in the way of classes?
I write stuff in vbscript to automate many of our processes from FTPing files to reformatting them into Excel and Word docs from other types of files, to pulling info from the AS/400.

Any educated suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

rnpIII
CoServ IT

You seem to be contradicting yourself. You say you don't need admin stuff but all that you describe is just that.

There are a number of good books out there on vbscript. I recommend the MSPRESS book by Ed Wilson. Ed wrote the book and created the vbscript workshop that Microsoft offers to Premier Customers for a fee.

If you have a Premier Contract with Microsoft, then you can speak to your TAM (Technical Account Manager) to get you signed up for the workshop which would go over most everything you need.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Check out my scripting solutions at

see if you can get a copy of the o'reilly ad cookbook, new riders WMI, new riders ADSI scripting for sys amin. read them all at least twice. visit this forum daily and try and read every post

Markdmac and MrMovie,

I appreciate your input.
It just goes to show that I don't know what 2000 Server Admins do. I am really writing stand- alone stuff, and in some cases it will be a utility that can be used in multiple places.
MrMovie:
As I would really like to be able to read every book and every posting on this site, we both know that that is impractical.
I was looking for something a bit more formal that would teach me from the ground up so I could use the tools and such that come with the program, instead of guessing or just not knowing.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your information.
I think I will keep VBScript as a tinkering language and pursue VB.Net as my primary.
This will open up some broader avenues for me in the future.

Thanks again for your input.

rnpIII
CoServ IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back