Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for purchasing used POS terminals 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roaky

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2012
US
I have a client looking to get some POS terminals and peripherals for their restaurant. I have some experience working with Radiant and Micros terminals, but I know with this small restaurants' restricted budget will make these systems out of their price range. Would anyone suggest a good brand, or model, or supplier for purchasing used POS terminals? Essentially I'm looking for something basic and reliable, and compatible with some receipt printers, card readers, and cash drawers (Is it possible to go mostly USB for peripherals? I would like to avoid the labor associated with custom serial pin-outs).

I am very experienced with laptop and desktop refurbishing and repair, as this is the majority of my work, so I am not daunted by having to troubleshoot problems with used equipment, as long as i can find a generally reliable brand/model and supplier to avoid fully DOA systems.

Looking around online some of the brands that seem reasonably priced are: Partner Tech, Elo, Posiflex. Would any of these work? Would I be better off going with a regular PC plugged into a waterproof touchscreen monitor?

I know there are quite a few questions here, but any small insights are helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Roaky,
I like the J2 model 615. It comes with magswipe and power supply. It also comes with a couple com port adapters and serial cable for the receipt printer. I have sold quite a few and they also have a good RMA program (I think its 3 yrs). The only issues I have had is a bad back light inverter on one of the units I have purchased. The only heavy lifting you will need to do with staging them ins LANA CONFIG. I buy them straight from the -manufacturer for around $1000.00 (+/- $100).

Good Luck,

-RT

Thanks RogueTech for the info, I am suggesting the J2 615 as well as estimates on a durable touchscreen monitor and pc system to my client to see which they would prefer. Have you had any particular difficulty with peripherals and that system? I am considering just using an epson tm-t88v reciept printer for reciepts and tickets, and wiring a serial cable to the kitchen. From what I've read cash drawers are pretty much standard accross the board, so i'm less worried about those.

I couldn't find an edit button, so sorry for the double post. I wanted to ask as well if you had any opinion on some of the opensource POS programs? I have setup and used POSper and it seems sufficient for a small restaurant. I've seen good reviews about LemonPOS, it seems similiar to POSper, and about openBravo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back