Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for CS1K/CM enterprise with wireless offices

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippowell9

Technical User
Aug 18, 2005
US
Hi all, looking for suggestions on how you would build out a 500 phone enterprise with deskphones, but no cabling. Can it be done?

Scenario: Existing CS1K 7.5 with combo TDM and VoIP phones (39XX and 1140), 90% TDM. About 500 phones at this site.

A significant remodel of offices and workstations at one campus has led to a number of ideas in respect to voice and data. One idea is this: For data, we would run PC’s and printers over the WiFi network, and not run any data cable to the offices and cubicles. Let’s assume this will work fine for PC’s and printers. Where does this leave deskphones, assuming there is capital to upgrade the CS1K to CM? Are we for sure saying goodbye to deskphones under this scenario? Or is there a way to connect IP phones to the PC, and ride the PC’s wifi? Are there CS1K-compatible wifi deskphones? Or am I looking at Avaya one-X Communicator soft client only?

I really appreciate your guys’ feedback. Any and all crazy ideas welcome.

i2050 software phone rather than the 1x

wireless router at each station with poe for the 1140's

I think you'll have to lose the 3900's

It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

I personally have never seen something like this done without cabling. That may be the wave of the future, but around here, everyone is still running Cat 5e or better. I would think the bandwidth required for VOIP would be the show stopper on this one.

I've been able to do this on a small scale, but you need to have an immensely good wi fi connection, perhaps a dedicated wi-fi connection only for voice.

I then use these devices called TP Link wireless internet adapters. They trap the wi-fi signal and you can plug a wired IP phone into the connection. I've only set this up for about 5 IP Phones and they work well, as I have a dedicated wi-fi router for the phones only. TP Link also comes with a POE adapter too, so you don't have to worry about power supplies for the 1100 IP Phones.

Or you can activate the Internet sharing module on everyone's laptop which allows your pc's LAN connection to distribute the wi-fi. With a MAC, you need a thunderbolt adapter, but I've used that setup too with an 1140E and it works amazing.

Again, you need more wireless antennas and lots of bandwidth only dedicated to the phones.

Any of that help?

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

I will also say I have a friend who has a CS1000/UCx50 in his 3 level, 5 bedroom house with 1100/1200 IP Phones all running on POE TP Links and very rarely do we have any interference when talking on the phone.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. Of course I have many concerns.

For the TP Link routers, I know there are other kinds, I can't imagine supporting these for hundreds of users. But maybe that's an option.

I'm not interested in the i2050, as I need to use something supported by Avaya. I like the i2050, but not for several hundred users.

I'm leaning toward softclients like the One-X Communicator, with USP SIP phones for those who need a desk set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back