Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestion / Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

poshelp

Programmer
Jul 26, 2010
US
I want to write a simple Point Of Sale (POS) software for myself, and was wander where i can start. A Dos base possile because i will need to print invoice and statements.
Can i use DBF database file for my inventory data and customer , Can C++ read this file?
I am at C++ intermidate level., know basic Access database programming and SQL. I could have used MS access but to run the program i will also need to run MSAccess, ( dont want to do this).
I have seen few examples of POS system, not sure what they have used for programming probably C/Dos C++ not sure.

Any suggesion would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Hey, I may be a little late, but I am doint something similar, so I might be able to help.

First, if DBF is ODBC compatable, you can use CRecordset no problem. If it is not, you can use Access as the backend, and it does not need to be running to do this. It might open an instance of Access, but I use Access as my backend, and it is very fast, but I access Access using ODBC, not COM. If I read you right, your worried that Access takes a long time to open, and you don't want that pause every time you query or write to DB.

I may be off

CJB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back