Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggest books

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtm2020hyo

Technical User
Dec 30, 2021
PE
Which ebook/book pdf could I buy (or read for free if possible) to learn advanced VBS (or VBA if there is not VBS ebooks/books)

What is it you want to do with VBS? If it's primarily system administration then I would suggest the popular "Advanced VBScript for Microsoft Windows Administrators" by Don Jones and Jeffery Hicks, 2 well-known authors in the fields of Windows administration and automation. (See [URL unfurl="true"]https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/583614.Advanced_VBScript_for_Microsoft_Windows_Administrators[/url] for more details.)

It's an old book from 2006 (... but so's VBS) so you should be able to find it cheaply. I got my own copy from a 'book barn' that advertised online.

Note that Microsoft now focuses on PowerShell for preferred system administration (particularly remote devices) and that development of VBS ended years ago. As a result VBS is stuck in time whilst PowerShell continues to have additional capability added.

Hope this helps...

Thanks a lot.

I will check it.

Actually I use VBS/VBA in AutoCAD MEP, and not sure if there exist any VBS book for this task(related to AutoCAD and Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing design).

... I am interested mainly in Arrays, anything like combine 1D, 2D, 3D arrays, with those arrays do basic and complex operations, calcs, etc.

>VBS/VBA in AutoCAD

Didn't know AutoCAD included VBScript (which, whilst syntactically close to VBA, is a separate language with it's own quirks)

> I am interested mainly in Arrays

There’s a reasonably comprehensive overview of the basics of VBA arrays here

I first learned something about VBScript from this book It's now very old (from 2000) and you can look at it here in the archive or you can find it on the web in electronic format as CHM or PDF file. More advanced topics not covered in the book I only learned by searching on the web, reading discussions and trying things out.

Programming in VBA e.g. in Excel is still relevant and books on this topic are still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back