Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suddenly, the computer no longer turns on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfujino

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
Hello,

I'm building a computer with a 300 watt power supply and a Chaintech SKT600 motherboard. This morning everything was fine, the system powered up, no problem. I then went to the store to get some cables. When I came back, it no longer turns on! I've tried taking everything off and trying again, but still nothing....is there a way to tell if the motherboard was damaged or something?

Thanks for the help in advance!

Just the usual - first: reset the BIOS (jumper on motherboard). If no help, pull out the motherboard, set on insulated surface(box for motherboard is perfect), connect the power supply, memory, CPU, and video card. If that works, put boards back in one-by-one, until done. If OK, look for a mounting stand-off in the wrong place in the case. The stand-offs should be only where there is a "solder-pad" on the motherboard, use plastic stand-offs for strength support at other points.

Thanks for the tips - what I ended up doing was replacing the heat sink - that did the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back