Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

suddenly no automatic connection to preferred network

Status
Not open for further replies.

kausikdatta

Technical User
Oct 8, 2003
US
I use my laptop at work and at home. The wireless networks at both places are in my preferred networks list. So when I get to work from home and vice versa, I have a smooth transition in connectivity. Since I have wireless zero configuration enabled, my laptop (802.11G internal adapter) effortlessly recognizes the WEP-enabled base stations at work (802.11G, belkin) and at home (802.11B, MN-500), and connects appropriately without any further user input (since the WEP keys are already entered).

Suddenly I have this weird problem. When I get home, I get this message on startup: "unable to connect to preferred network". Upon looking in the network connections, I see the SSID of my MN-500 and I click "connect" - and I am asked for the WEP key. When I put it in, it connects without any further problem. But it *does not* do this automatically as it used to; moreover, I have to do this every time I reboot for whatever reason.

I cannot help thinking that this may reflect some larger, more serious issue which I have not been able identify yet. I would be obliged if someone could comment on this. I am running Win XP SP2, with 1 gig of RAM and 100 gig HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back