Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suddenly Can't get Table of Contents in Word

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossmcm

Programmer
Jun 28, 2000
I have a word doc - around 100 pages. I have a TOC based on Heading 1, 2, 3 etc and all was well until suddenly I get the message "Error! No table of contents entries found." where the TOC should be. I have tried messing with the TOC dialog to no avail.

Help! Please.

Have you used the Options button in the ToC dialog to ensure that the Styles for Heading 1, 2 and 3 are included in the ToC?

Sure have. Even used 'reset' button.

I have actually solved the problem since posting. On a hunch, I loaded the document with OpenOffice Writer. It loaded fine, the TOC was intact! I then saved it as a Word document and have had no further problems with Word.

Interesting that I was able to repair a MSW document by using a free clone of word!

I'd still be interested to know what causes this.

Hi Ross,

Most likely there is/was some corruption in the Word doc. Round-tripping via OpenOffice Writer may have cured that. But be careful that it hasn't clobbered any Word feature that app doesn't support.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Did you try Help > Detect & Repair...?

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

/Did you try Help > Detect & Repair...?
/Skip,

No; didnt realise it was there:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back