Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sudden Unexpected Behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemat

Technical User
Feb 5, 2002
MX
HI, I made a system here for controlling permits to work - on an extremely large oil refinery.

We have just one basic table, but many many different type sof queries/reports - as there are many different areas, and condition variables on the job.

Everything has been working fine. We now have about 4500 entries in the database, and there have been no significant glitches.

Today, on all the user's systems, when they try to preview reports by clicking on a command button on the main input form, the system closes down, either by going straight to restart windows, or by crashing and beginning a system dump of physical memory.

We are using Access 97. And my users have Win 98, 2000 and XP

All are behaving the same.

I have made replicas and used them on local drives, even emptying them of data. But the problem remains.

Any ideas?

What you need to do is to get the exact error it puts up and do a search on for that error. I'll have a hunt around there too to see if I can find anything. If you get the exact error post it. Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday."

I hope my post was helpful!!!

OK THanks I will check for it, although no error is appearing. I just press preview, and we get a crash - the system then restarts windows.

Nope, I couldn't find anything.

I don't know if this helps. But this problem first appeared to a user on XP, at first the problem wasn't apparant for users on different OS.

Now the problem occurs on all. I don't know if this progression of events is significant to the understanding of the problem.

Thanks

I'm assuming you are sharing one backend database with the individual users running the front end on their individual PCs.

Is this a peer-to-peer or client-server network?

Where does the backend reside?

How many users?

(An unlikely culprit: Any printer definition changes since, as I recall, print preview relies on the printer setup.)

Ditto on the virus checking...

Best Regards

Interesting I will look into the printer aspect.

I have put the database on a shared network on our company server. There are 5 users.

I have a version of the database onmy own local drive and the scenario is the same.

I will check out the printer setup in the reports, because in some of the reports we have a specified default printer. SO this may be the problem.

I would check the data. I have had a database do similar things because of corrupt data in just a few records.

The easiest way to check for this is to try to copy the contents of the table.

Do this by copying say a thousand records at a time. If it allows you to copy the first thousand, go to the second thousand and so on. If it kicks you out while copying, open the database again and copy a hundred at a time, eventually narrowing it down to an individual record.

Once you find the culprit, try to write down contents of the record so that you can re-enter it later. Then delete it. I have had one database that would not even allow me to delete or view a record. If this occurs, create a query excluding that one record and then create a make-table query from the new, good data.

Best wishes!

gormcd

Ok I will try this also. Thanks.

Repair and compact hasn't helped, no changes. I have not detected problems which could be caused by printer setup yet, but will continue, and I had no problems copying all data in the table. It didn't prevent me from copying all 4500 records to the clipboard.

Thanks for this help guys:)

I can preview from my admin station, the reports by directly accessing the reports and not using the form command buttons. However, no other user can. In fact their reports can not even be opened in design view.

The system continues. Entries are being added. I can in some way access the reports. However something has happened. I suspect that the problem lies with XP, this iswhere the problem began. Could XP have introduced something which is now affecting Access 97 on all the different stations Operating systems?

I have experienced some very similar, odd behavior in Access.

What I did was create a new database (if you split, you could just work with the frontend) and import all the objects from the old database into the new one. The problems associated with execution of button-launched code went away and the database was as good as new.

Vidar you may have a point I will try it, tomorrow morning.

THANKS

Hi,

I don't know if the code some forms or reports causes the problem. Maybe you should try to start with
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe" /decompile.

This decompiles all code, after that you can compile again, odd pieces of old code (normaly not visible) are no longer there.

I hope this works, but please try on a back-up copy first, just for safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back