Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sudden laptop problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Youlanda

Technical User
Oct 19, 2002
US
Today I turned on my laptop and went to transfer some art via my wireless network to my desktop computer, same old same old, and as I'm transferring a file, the entire machine freezes up and the other computer says it's no longer there.

I try to move my mouse around on the laptop and it's completely frozen. Dead. I reboot it. Try again. Still. I pop out my wireless card when it's off, plug it back in, etc. Still.

So, grudgingly, I try to FTP it to my website, which is extremely slow and making no progress. With that, I go to pop a cdrw into my cd drive to burn the files onto. Guess what? It gives me a CD rom drive error too. "D:\ is not accessible." Tried different CDs, still. It seems to read non CDRWs just fine. (I'm trying to find another set of CDrs by a different maker (or rather, my dimwit of a boyfriend is... and failing miserably, he couldn't find his own feet), there is a spool around here somewhere.)

My network connection is flickering in and out arbitrarily. I had been having network problems before and they were 'repaired' by removing an unsigned driver and using the signed driver instead. Now it doesn't work at all.

I certainly hope that plugging it into a landline will let me transfer my files over. I don't know where the drivers CD from Netgear is (it is lost somewhere in a pile of boxes from a move), so I'm stuck with the drivers I have.

I don't know where to even start to troubleshoot this problem. I know nothing about laptops and I'm at the brink of throwing this one in the trash. I'm going to be taking a cross country trip on the 8th and I need a working laptop so I can work on the plane.

Laptop is an HP Pavilion ze4145 running Windows XP Home ed. Windows is completely up to date (I do have a full warranty on it). I'm using a Netgear WAG511 802.11a/b/g Dual Band wireless PC card. My router is a Netgear FM114P with the from-the-factory firmware. (After my last one died I've been afraid to update it.)

It was working fine just a few days ago even with the driver changes. I'm so confused and frustrated.

Q1. Does the notebook act normally without the PCMCIA adapter installed?

Insert the PCMCIA adapter.
Q2. Start, Run, devmgmt.msc
What does it now say under Network Adapters about the card?
What does it say about the CD drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back