Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Such a thing as auto backup? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadwalader

IS-IT--Management
Feb 12, 2002
US
I jsut overhauled a site and uplaoded it Friday afternoon. Saturday, the old site was back up. This is not the first time I have noticed this. I just thought at first that overwriting wasn't working because there wasn't much difference in the files, so the server would just think you were putting the same file up there so it would save resource, or whatever, and just leave the actual old file there.

That...whatever the heck is happening...almost cost me my job this morning. Before you ask if I am sure that I uploaded the right files, yes. I am 10000000000000% sure that I uplaoded the right files.

So my question is: Is there a way to prevent that from happening? [bugeyed] Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Clear your browsers cache. Always use CTRL+F5 to refresh the page, as this would refresh it no matter what. //Daniel

Is the site hosted by an ISP or hosting company? If so, tell them what happened.

If you host the site, restart the web-server software. After loading new pages to my sites I always restart the web-server. I have seen Apache cache pages until I do this. IIS hasn't done it but I restart it anyway to be sure.

Jim

Daniel,

I know about the refresh thing. I also set the browser to clear the cache when it closes. But thanks anyway.

jfr2112,

That might be what it is. I am jsut a lowly, aspiring web designer (grin), and my boss is the one that "handles" the servers. I think it's been running for over 8 months now. He never touches it.

To All,

I have sort of simulated what he has here in terms of software. The server has RedHat 7.2, and mine has 7.3. Both are using the same version of Apache. I am going to try to make my server (it's a little thing built mostly out of spare parts, except it has a new HDD) do what this one is doing, and figure out how to stop that from happening.

I really appreciate the help. I think you mayjust have saved my job! :) Hope I was of some help...
--OR--
Thanks for the help...
--Rich

Unless you are using memory mapping in Apache, this is a browser issue. Apache does not cache pages by default, but with memory mapping it saves them in the memory for faster access later. //Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back