Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subtraction field

Status
Not open for further replies.

drimades

IS-IT--Management
Nov 8, 2004
MK
I have two tables in access (Table1 and Table2). How can I create a new table with a field sub that is a subtraction between two fields of the previous tables?

could you first please show the SQL for a join between the tables?

also, how many columns, besides sub, if any, would you like this third table to have?

r937.com | rudy.ca

In "Create query table" I choose SQL:

SELECT field1 - field2 AS sub
FROM Table1, Table2;

that's a cross join -- each row of table1 matched with every row of table 2

are you sure that's what you want? and only one column in the new table?

okay...

so your solution would be
Code:
select field1-field2 as sub
[b]into table3[/b]
from table1, table2

r937.com | rudy.ca

Thank you! It worked even previously. The problem is that I don't need a JOIN like this. Obviously, the result is a table that has a number of records that is a product between the nr of records. I need simply a field that is the difference between the other two ...

remember when i asked for the SQL for a join between the tables, and you gave me a cross join ?

well, that's exactly what you get from a cross join -- the result is a table that has a number of records that is a product between the number of records

so i'm beginning to wonder if perhaps you really wanted an inner join after all

see for the difference between cross joins and inner joins

r937.com | rudy.ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back