Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subtotaling unique values only

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joylaw20

Instructor
Nov 2, 2000
CA
I have a report that repeats an invoice if more than one payment exists. I need to include the invoice amount in a subtotal only if it is unique. Is this possible?

Inv. Amt. Pmt. Amt.
Inv 1 100.00 100.00
Inv 2 200.00 100.00
Inv 2 200.00 100.00
-------- -------
Desired subtotal 300.00 300.00

Thanks for any help.

Joyce

Group on the Inv. Amt. then create formulas to do a running sum using a variable. Keep the Pmt. Amt. in the details section and sum that field. Let me know if you need help creating the formulas.

Joyce,

You can achieve the same thing without using variables through the use of a Running Total.

The "Evaluate" option in thre Running Total dialog box allows you to specify when the total gets incremented. The default is "For Each Record". You would need to select "On Change of Field" (Invoice Number in your case) or "On Change of Group" if you are grouping on Invoice Number.

Cheers,
- Ido

Thanks for the help. I was able to get what I needed through use of running total.

Joyce

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back