Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

substring in TCL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdy1980

Programmer
Nov 1, 2011
GB
Hi

Is there an easy way to perform substring operations in TCL

For eg if I have a file with something like

# Ingore this
#ignore
a1:a2:a3
b1:b2:b3

And
1. I want to ignore the lines with #
2. I want to pick each value between the ':' for each line and assign them to different variables
i.e. set var1 = a1
set var2 = a2
set var3 = a3
....etc
within a loop for every line

Is this possible

Hi

birdy1980 said:
Is there an easy way to perform substring operations in TCL
[tt]string range[/tt]

As requested, however I would skip the part with the separate var1..var3 variables :
Code:
[b]set[/b] [b]file[/b] [teal][[/teal][b]open[/b] [green][i]"birdy1980.txt"[/i][/green][teal]][/teal]

[b]while[/b] [teal]{[/teal][teal][[/teal][b]gets[/b] [navy]$file[/navy] line[teal]]!=-[/teal][purple]1[/purple][teal]}[/teal] [teal]{[/teal]
  [b]if[/b] [teal]{[/teal][teal][[/teal][b]string[/b] range [navy]$line[/navy] [purple]0[/purple] [purple]0[/purple][teal]]==[/teal][green][i]"#"[/i][/green][teal]}[/teal] [teal]{[/teal] [b]continue[/b] [teal]}[/teal]
  [b]set[/b] part [teal][[/teal][b]split[/b] [navy]$line[/navy] [green][i]":"[/i][/green][teal]][/teal]
  [b]set[/b] var1 [teal][[/teal][b]lindex[/b] [navy]$part[/navy] [purple]0[/purple][teal]][/teal]
  [b]set[/b] var2 [teal][[/teal][b]lindex[/b] [navy]$part[/navy] [purple]1[/purple][teal]][/teal]
  [b]set[/b] var3 [teal][[/teal][b]lindex[/b] [navy]$part[/navy] [purple]2[/purple][teal]][/teal]
[teal]}[/teal]

[b]close[/b] [navy]$file[/navy]

Feherke.

Hi Feherke

That was quick! wow.

The reason for setting to different variables is because we are planning to read a file which has such a format to get details of parameters which will be used in the script.
That was the only reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back