Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SubReport snaking columns needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimoli

Technical User
Jul 30, 2010
US
My research on this problem leads me to think it is impossible for a subreport inside a Report, Snake.
The bottom part of the letter has a 4 column subreport. I wanted it to snake around.

Attached is some info to check out what i have done.

Thanks for seeing if there is a possibility.

Hi,

I can give you a strategy to stage your data to snake. I just don't know how that can be performed in Access. Maybe someone with some Access smarts can advise on that part.

You need a report PAGE #, COLUMN # and ROW #.

When your Column and Row counters reach MaxReportColumns & MaxReportRows, the Page counter increments while the Column & Row counters are reset to 1.

When your Row counter reaches MaxReportRows, the Column counter increments and the Row counter is reset to 1.

The report headings & data are 'pivoted' on the Column counter value.

I've done this in Excel but not Access, so that's as far as I can take you.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

You might want to take a look at using MS Word. Export your data & import into Word. You can very simply set up 4 columns an the data will snake. You'll need to massage the data to get headings in a Word Header with the correct alignment et al.

If you need help with this, post in forum68.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

I have to stay in Access for this, thanks. I tried something again but did not work.

I went to design on the subreport. Then hit File, Print, Print, Setup, columns,
"2" number of columns (i have 4 fields per column), then
'Down,then Across'. OK. OK.

And erased the test print file in the windows settings, printers.

then ran the main report. The subreport inside it, did not change.
Only 1 column of 4 fields appeared as usual.

I tried someone's method of 10 yrs ago. I noticed that he had the subreport as wide as the main report.
He also made some On Page, Event Procedure code. I incorporated it.
If I run the subreport alone, the page nicely snakes with 2 columns each with 4 fields.

However, if I use the main report which contains the same subreport, the subreport only shows the
one column with the 4 fields. My letter works ok. Just that it would be nicer to get
the subreport show two columns instead of wasting a 2nd page.

Ideas? thanks all.

You can create a subreport with multiple columns that displays across then down. If you want these to look like down then across it becomes much more difficult:

Easy
[pre]Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9
10 11[/pre]

Difficult
[pre]Column 1 Column 2 Column 3
1 5 9
2 6 10
3 7 11
4 8[/pre]

I have done this by creating a column in the subreport's record source that can be used to sort the records in a way that presenting across then down actually looks like down then across.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I took out the subreport from the main report. I have the former subreport as it's own report.
I have 2 buttons on my main form with the criteria boxes. So hitting 2 buttons to print preview
is fine. The criteria boxes hold the criteria unless i get off the main form.
So is well. thanks for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back