Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subqueries

Status
Not open for further replies.

untwisted

Programmer
Dec 18, 2003
US
Hi,

I'm trying to write a front end for a perl script a client of mine wrote. He wants me to get a list of messages from his database and then print a list of them. The list must be ordered by date (which I can do) and then grouped by topic (not sure if this is the right word to use, but I can't think of any other). Basically he wants me to have the parent thread at the top and each reply under it. I am having problems doing this. Right now this is the statement i'm using.

$sql_query_byDate = "SELECT subjfield, fromfield, datefield FROM `$db_TABLE` WHERE 1=1 GROUP BY `in_repl_tofield` ORDER BY `datefield`";

Now, it's grouping my messages by reply to field, which is half of the way there, but I need it to group the parent field with it. The parent column is called msg_idfield.

Thanks! I hope I explained everything well enough.

try:

$sql_query_byDate = "SELECT subjfield, fromfield, datefield FROM `$db_TABLE` WHERE 1=1
GROUP BY msg_idfield,`in_repl_tofield`
ORDER BY `datefield`";

Bastien

Any one have a techie job in Toronto, I need to work...being laid off sucks!

[tt]select subjfield, fromfield, datefield
from `$db_TABLE`
order
by coalesce(in_repl_tofield,msg_idfield)
, datefield desc[/tt]

the trick is in the COALESCE()

if the in_repl_tofield is null, that means it is a parent post, so it sorts under its own msg_idfield

if the in_repl_tofield is not null, that means it is a reply, so it sorts under its parent

so parent posts are sorted by their ids, with all their replies sorted under them by date descending

and if i knew of a techie job in toronto, i'd snap it up myself!! (actually, there's a ton of them on workopolis.com, check it out)

rudy

Much thanks guys! If you're looking for programming might I suggest that is what I'm using this SQL for. I found a client on rentacoder who lives in my area, and he ended up giving my partner and I a lot of work outside of rentacoder. If nothing else, it's a good way to make a quick buck.

Thanks again!!

-Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back