Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subnetting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lbarron

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
Hi,

We currently have a single subnet /24 and are fast running out of IP addresses. All machines have their IP's statically assigned at the moment which is also a real pain.

I want to change things to /16 to give us a few more IP's and if possible get everything using DHCP through our W2K3 server.

What would be the quickest and least painful approach to make this change? Would I be better putting Users on one subnet and printers and switches on another?

Any help would be good.

Thanks

Lee

DHCP will make your life much easier, and will make the subnet change a piece of cake. I'd get everybody on DHCP first, then make the /16 change.

As far as using different subnets for different equipment, it depends on how much broadcast traffic your network generates.

--
The stagehand's axiom: "Never lift what you can drag, never drag what you can roll, never roll what you can leave.

a few more" as in 65,281 more? Cause that's how many you have in a /16.

Any time I start getting close to filling a /24 I'm looking to break things apart with VLANs. That's just my opinion though.

Why not just another /24, and make 2 vlans? The server could have more than just one dhcp pool...

Burt

Thanks for the posts.

I agree that going /16 isn't an ideal scenario but due to other projects on the go I need a quick fix to get me some more IP's. Setting up VLANs on our site would require a hell of a lot of planning so it will have to be done later.

Thanks

Lee

one thing that you can try is expanding the subnet on the scop and I'm pretty sure DHCP does the routing for you as well.
example if you already have a /24 subnet and all your workstations to static IP you can extend the scop.
example
if you already have an scope of 192.168.0.0/24 = 254 IPs
Start IP 192.168.0.1 End IP 192.168.0.254 you can increase this to 192.168.0.1 - 192.168.2.254 =762 IPs using 3 subnets and DCHP does the routing as well.
Try it, it did work for me.

Angel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back