Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subnetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcp

Technical User
May 15, 2001
ID
hello,
i have a DSL internet connection.
we access internet in the LAN.we put up a new network for the development team and would like to put it on a another subnet.
i am using the 192.9.200.x series in my lan.
using a subnet calculater i could subnet to make 2 subnets
1)192.9.200.1-192.9.200.126
2)192.9.200.128-192.9.200.254

could i have both the subnets on the same NIC ?
Thanks in advance
good day
kcp

Yes.
You have to use the Subnet mask 255.255.255.128
hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

Perhaps there was a misunderstanding with me.

To get a clean solution you need a Gateway or a router from one Subnet to the other. On this Gateway the networks should be seperated (2 connections)

Probably it will work with one connection, but then subnetting makes no sense or/and in the case of a malfunction you will get a lot of problems.
hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

I don't know if understand the problem. You want that a computer with one NIC can see the two subnet (thus the whole network 192.9.200.0)

if is so use the subnetmask

But that is no subnetting and that is the reason why i wrote in this case subnetting makes no sense.

hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

I think you will be better off with a differnt net rather than a subnet Say 192.9.200.1/24 and 192.9.201.1/24

that way you can seperate and add a route if this possible
with your application.
Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Add a second NIC with your new subnet and point its default gateway to the first nic, also enable IP forwarding. (On a NT 4 server)

Doing this is creating a router. That will split your subnets and keep the traffic separate unless they need to access the Internet or the other subnet. Also make sure to physically spilt the network as well.

Hope this answers your question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back