Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subnetting and BGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkoehn

ISP
May 24, 2001
US
I am new to BGP. We have a Cisco 7206 and have a /22 network.

I want to be able to have the first 256 IP's subnetted out. The second 256 IP's subnetted out to customers with the last 512 IP's will be assigned to one interface for our wireless network.

I have sperated out the /22 into 2 /23's. I have added these statements to my router's BGP section:

network 65.116.60.0 mask 255.255.254.0
network 65.116.62.0 mask 255.255.254.0

When I try to assign the first 32 ip's to FastEthernet0/0 It seems to quit routing on the 65.116.60.0 network. Do I need to add something to the ROUTER BGP section to split this /23 up even more?

How much different is BGP routing compared to Static Routing. Any one have any knowledge bases to direct me to to learn on this?

Normally BPG is used on an ISP type of connection or a very large network. It's also pretty dangerous in the sense that you can break someone elses routes fairly easily without the correct knowledge.

Apples and Orange might describe the differences between static routes and BGP. A routing protocol like BGP (or others) has all kinds of interactions whereas static is just that.. static.

I'm not clear on just what you want to accomplish..

You have a class A network range of 65 something and you have a /22 or a class mask of 255.255.252.0.. roughly 16K subnets of 1K hosts per network. Now you say to want to take the one of the 16K network range of 65.116.60.0 and apply a VLSM to it of /23? VLSM works but it's tricky if you do not know your subnetting well.

If this is not a ISP or the like.. I would like at something like OSPF or EIGRP instead of BGP.

MikeS Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Yes this is for an ISP.

But I have always worked with static routes and never worked with BGP.

I want to be able to take and assign subnets out of the /23.

Would it not be a waiste of IP's if can't break up the /23?

I want to use the first 32 IP's for a local Lan. Another subnet of 128 IP's for another local lan setting behind a firewall.

When I tried to do this the way I have always done static routes it just seem to quit routing. I am needing to find out how I can do this.

Tkoehn

Run rip2 or OSPF is my advice: forget BGP-> it is way
too complicated for applications as small scale as this.
RIP2 and ospf ,or even igrp if your routers are all cisco,
will fill the bill.
RIP2 is simplest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back