Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subnet mask problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldi

IS-IT--Management
May 10, 2002
CA
Hello all,

I'm using vpn to connect to work on a windows 98 computer. Everything it's been fine for a while until a few days ago when i couldn't connect anymore.

When troubbleshooting the connection with ipconfig and winipcfg the settings show the wrong subnet mask (255.0.0.0)
where it should be (255.255.255.0) It seems that the dhcp server is assigning the wrong ip configuration. Also I get the lease obtained 01 01 80 and lease expires the same.

I tried removing all network components including tcp/ip and the vpn adapter, also I run winsockfix but nothing seems to help. Also run the antivirus but no virus was found.

I had similar problems before and i got them fixed with winsockfix but this time it is not helping.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

The same date for Lease Obtained and Lease Expired is normal.

What happens when you click either Renew or Renew All in winipcfg/ipconfig?

Is there a problem on your ISP's system?

Hi ski,

When I renew the tcp/ip configuration I get the same settings for the subnet mask (255.0.0.0)

No problem with the ISP's system

ARe you able to get any internet connection off the NIC at all before trying to connect to the VPN? You may want to try manually configuring it and see what happens.

What are the the steps you usually take to connect to the VPN?

Greg Wilson
RFK Technologies
866 837 1007
"What an Information Technology Business Partner Should Be

What are the settings in 'TCP/IP Properties'?

Greg, I have no problem connecting to the internet, the dhcp server assigns tcp/ip settings automatically allowing me to surf the internet.
The problem is when I connect to the rras server; it does connect because i can even see the connection on the server, but the settings for the subnet mask are wrong, therefore stopping me from connecting to the terminal server.

ski, I have two tcp/ip settings one for the nic which connects me to the internet (no problem) and one for the vpn adapter (wrong subnet assignment)

I took a look around for what may be causing that issue for you. I was able to find a link to a discussion board that may hold the answer you need. Go to the link below and look it over. Hope this helps.

Greg Wilson
RFK Technologies
866 837 1007
"What an Information Technology Business Partner Should Be

Hi Greg, the link was helpfull as to find what is causing the problem - half battle won.

The following paragraph was copied from the link. I think that Bill meant DHCP server in the second sentence when he mentions RAS server.

"Bill Grant Feb 17 2002, 8:45 pm

The subnet mask is a bit of a red herring. When the client connects there is no way for it to get the subnet mask from the RAS server. (The client gets its IP etc from the RAS server, not from DHCP). The subnet mask is created based solely on the IP number received - 8 bits for class A, 16 bits for class B etc."

Now, going back to my problem, the addressing schema is causing it. The network at work is a custom class address - 10.0.0.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Since DCHP is not involved in the tcp/ip configuration of the vpn adapter the address is assigned by the RAS server, which assigns only the ip address, therefore generating a subnet mask automatically base on the ip address.

It gets 10.0.0.x then it generates 255.0.0.0

Now the question is, how come it was working before and suddenly stopped working?

The other question is, and most important, how can i get around this problem without changing the address schema at work?

Please help!!!

This subjects a bit out of my knowledge however might want to give sfc/scannow from command prompt a try for sometimes corrupt or missing files can cause problems. Other than that I cant be of much help on this , sorry.

Actually scratch taht last comment, run sfc from run box , i was thinking of windows 2000/xp lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back