Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Submit Button only works on the first Record displayed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbedude

Programmer
Jun 6, 2003
US
Hello everyone,
Thank you in advance,
I have an regular search page that displays only the records that meet the criteria in the Table. These records are displayed and they can be edited by clicking on edit button in the table. The edit button passes the PK of only that record to the table with all of the information inside of it for editing. without submitting all of my code, i was wondering if any one would have an idea why i can only select the very first record in Edit mode when a search has been performed. To make things more confusioning if an search is not performed all of the records are displayed. The Edit Mode feature works just fine when not searching for any record.
FYI,
The Search page is separte from the results page.
All Variables are being passed by forms and not urls.
I know this is kind of Vague but i was wondering if anyone could relate to a similar problem they had in the past.
Again thank you for your time and consideration in your replys.

Please explain - are you only getting one result every time as a search result?

If you get more than one result -what happens when you click to edit the second and other records? what is the error?
You mention "To make things more confusioning if an search is not performed all of the records are displayed." does that mean if a person leaves the search field blank all the records are displayed?

The Problem was that the search page and results page were both displayed into a frame set. And all of the information is displayed if no search is performed. If this is the case the user can click the edit button on any of the records and it would pass the PK threw form variables. The result of the record that was selected would end up at top of the table in text boxes for editing.
While all of the other records would still be displayed below it. However when the user would use the search criteria it would narrow the records down to that specification. So instead of seeing all of the records you see just the ones that have "John Doe" as the salesperson for example. But when u wanted to edit one of his records like before i could only edit the very 1st record for John Does orders. Meaning when i clicked to edit any other record nothing would happen. So to answer your first question nothing would happen to the 2,3,. . . records when clicked on. No errors just that nothing happend.

I did happen to figure the solution out myself after going nuts for a bit. Turns out the problem was that i had my Form outside of my output query and some naming issues with similar forms. I think the problem with the search edit was attributed to my hidden values that were being passed from the search to the results. I had to then post the results of the hidden values back to the results page. I know it sounds confusing and complicated but im new to CF MX and do not not understand how to properly identify an issue just yet.
Thanks for the help trying to figure out what i was asking for. i guess my logic behind the design of could have been better explained also.

No worries - I am glad that you figured the answer out for yourself. Hope the rest of the project goes smoother!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back