Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Submission rate increase 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

disturbedone

Vendor
Sep 28, 2006
AU
A user has some software that sends mail and it gives the error "Unable to send email. Message submission rate for this client has exceeded the configured limit".

I've seen that this can be altered on the 'Receive Connector' but also believe it can be increased on the account that it's sending from but I can't find how to do this. Any one know?

It's some finance software. Emails go out to creditors when we pay them with details of the payment. It's pretty crap software - emails don't come from the server they come from each client which means if I use authentication the user has to input credenitals every single time, or (as they suggest) give static IPs to each client (possibly dozens or hundreds) and allow the connected to allow unathenticated from them, or allow the entire subnet un authenticated and open up a huge risk to dodgy mail servers!

I think I'll end up using the command you gave. I'd just heard that it might be possible to allow the mailbox eg "accounts@domain.local" to have a different message rate limit rather than put it on the connector.

You can actually do what you are trying to do.

Create a new ThrottlingPolicy and configure the MessageRateLimit parameter on that policy. Then apply that policy only to the mailboxes that you want to use it. Something like this:

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name AutomatedPolicy -MessageRateLimit 500

Set-mailbox bulkoutbound -throttlingpolicy AutomatedPolicy

Dave Shackelford MVP
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

We also have another piece of software (student/staff database) that stops at sending 5 emails and although it doesn't give an actual error I suspect it's the same thing.

I applied the -MessageRateLimit to the connector and restarted the Transport service but it still has the problem. I haven'can't check the finance software as they don't have anything to pay at the moment.

The command was:
Set-recieveconnector "EXCA1\External Relay - Servers" -MessageRateLimit 500

There shouldn't be a problem with having spaces?????

I'm about to have a look in the mail logs to see if there's anything in there. Anyone have any other ideas?

Is that software sending anonymously, or is it using credentials? Have you tried setsting the MessageRateLimit on that user account?

Is that software using an SMTP connection, or is it trying to access the APIs of a local Outlook installation?

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

It's using credentials. I haven't put a throttling limit on that user so I'll try that.

It's using SMTP on port 587 (the connector is allowed for both 25 & 587)

Looks to be all good.

It didn't like the 'AutomatedPolicy' parameter so I left it out and used:

New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name NameOfPolicyHere -MessageRateLimit 500

Set-Mailbox MailboxNameHere -ThrottlingPolicy NameOfPolicyHere

No restart of any services was required. It took immediate effect.

This has resolved with issue with the staff/student database application. The fincance software will be tested later today but I suspect it will be fine too.

Cool. In my example, "AutomatedPolicy" was just the name of the policy I chose. Sorry that that wasn't clear. I should have said New-ThrottlingPolicy -Name LetsDanceTheCalypso

Cheers!

Dave Shackelford
ThirdTier.net
TrainSignal.com

Excellent - looks like problem solved AND we get to dance a calypso.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back