Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subforms and Relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.

nshenry03

Technical User
Feb 9, 2006
US
I am having trouble getting a subform to work and I believe it is because of the relationships I've set up (I'm new to both of them, but saw it done ( and would love to implement something simular for our company).

I get the error: You cannot add or change a record because a related record is required in table 'Request For Quotes'.

I can send the file in an e-mail if somebody would be willing to look @ it.

Well it is exactly what the error tells you, you require a record in both the tables since they are in relationship....

"Knowing that you know is the greatest sign of stupidity, knowing that you are ignorant is the best proof of intelligence.

Try changing your primary/foreign key to the settings you need..

"Knowing that you know is the greatest sign of stupidity, knowing that you are ignorant is the best proof of intelligence.

you need to set up a process where when you enter a new record in the parent table it automatically creates a new record in the child table.

Leslie

Anything worth doing is a lot more difficult than it's worth - Unknown Induhvidual

Essential reading for anyone working with databases:
The Fundamentals of Relational Database Design
Understanding SQL Joi

If referential integrity is being enforced, you cannot add to the "many" side of the relationship unless a related record on the "one" side exists already.

Let them hate - so long as they fear... Lucius Accius

I believe this is what I said...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back