Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subform total out of sync with form 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

adizukerman

IS-IT--Management
Feb 7, 2004
US
First, I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to read this post.

I have a form, frmOrder, with a sub-form, subfrmDetail. frmOrder represents an order (like a purchase order) and each record in subfrmDetail is a line item on the order. In subfrmDetail Footer I have a text box “Order Subtotal” with control source equal to “=Sum([Total Line])”

On frmOrder I have text box “Order Subtotal” with control source “=[subfrmOrderDetail].[Form]![Order Subtotal]” which represents the sum of all the line items on the order. To find the order total I need to add shipping. On frmOrder I have text box “Order Total” with control source “=([Order Subtotal]+[Rush Ship Charge])” I want to store in the database Order Total in field [Total Order Amount] but I don’t know how to have a text box calculate a value and save it in a field so I created text box “Total Order Amount” with a control source “Total Order Amount”. To summarize:

Form control name control source
subfrmDetail Order Subtotal =Sum([Total Line])
frmOrder Order Subtotal =[subfrmOrderDetail].[Form]![Order Subtotal]
frmOrder Order Total =([Order Subtotal]+[Rush Ship Charge])
frmOrder Total Order Amount Total Order Amount

I put, in the subfrmDetail, the following code in the Form_BeforeInsert, Form_BeforeUpdate, Form_AfterUpdate and Form_AfterInsert events:
Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = Me.Parent.Order_Total

The problem is that at times Total Order Amount and Order Total come out of sync. I put the following in the sub-form Form_AfterUpdate() event:
Debug.Print "Me.Order_Subtotal = " & Me.Order_Subtotal
Debug.Print "Me.Parent.Order_Total = " & Me.Parent.Order_Total
Debug.Print "Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = " & Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount
Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = Me.Parent.Order_Total
Debug.Print "COPIED VALUE OVER"
Debug.Print "Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = " & Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount
Debug.Print "Me.Order_Subtotal = " & Me.Order_Subtotal
If I run the code I get the following output:
Me.Order_Subtotal = 1262.5
Me.Parent.Order_Total = 1262.5
Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = 1262.5
COPIED VALUE OVER
Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = 1262.5
Me.Order_Subtotal = 1262.5

BUT the value on the screen for Order_Subtotal is $1725.00!

If I put a breakpoint on the first debug.print and then press F5 I get the following output:
Me.Order_Subtotal = 2050
Me.Parent.Order_Total = 2050
Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = 1887.5
COPIED VALUE OVER
Me.Parent.Total_Order_Amount = 2050
Me.Order_Subtotal = 2050

Which is what I would expect. Why does the breakpoint make a difference? How can I get this to work?

Again, thank you for taking the time to look at this. If there is any other information I can provide please let me know.

Regards,

Adi Zukerman
adizukerman@hotmail.com

You might want to re-thing how you are doing it. You should be able to accomplish the same thing with a call to the Dsum
function. Look at Dsum in the help file. The key is the criteria you feed it in the where clause

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back