Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

subdomain not resolving (root) domain systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

billyakabachi

Technical User
Jan 9, 2003
US
Hi Everyone,

I am trying to setup a test network at home and somewhat following microsofts resource kit deployment scenario. My problem is that when i try to resolve a name in the root domainusing my subdomains dns server i get Non-existent domain.

Here is my config....

No Active Directory is installed. Just DNS with service pack 3. Only 3 servers and no clients just added bogus A records to test nslookup

(root)domain
sea-rk-dc-01.reskit.com
ip: 172.16.4.11
subnet: 255.255.0.0
dns: 172.16.4.11

subdomain
sea-na-dc-01.noam.reskit.com
ip: 172.16.8.11
pri dns: 172.16.4.11
alt dns: 172.16.8.11

sea-na-dc-02.noam.reskit.com
ip: 172.16.44.11
pri: 172.16.4.11
alt dns: 172.16.44.11

On sea-rk-dc-01.reskit.com i delgated noam to sea-na-dc-02.noam.reskit.com and sea-na-dc-02.noam.reskit.com
The 13 root servers are on all dns servers by default.

from sea-rk-dc-01.reskit.com i can ping a computer by name on sea-na-dc-01.noam.reskit.com fine.

when i do an nslookup from sea-na-dc-01.noam.reskit.com i can resolve names in reskit.com and noam.reskit.com fine since the primary dns server is set as 172.16.4.11 (sea-rk-dc-01.reskit.com)

but when i do a nslookup and change to my secondary dns server sea-na-dc-01.noam.reskit.com and try to resolve a name in the reskit.com domain i get a non-existent domain.

how do i resolve names in reskit.com domain by using dns in noam.reskit.com. Microsoft reskit deployment scenario said to configure the subdomain noam.reskit.com DNS servers to use reskit.com DNS server ip address as the primary dns and for the secondary us its own ip address. Is that the right way to go? Also does the subdomain require the 13 root servers on them. i know that the (root)domain reskit.com needs it to resolve outside names. any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Also any where i can find step by step case scenarios for dns and ad. the only one i could find on the net is at

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back