Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Subclassing 3rd Party RichTextBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Programmer
Nov 11, 2001
US
I need to watch for any new text being sent to a 3rd party richtextbox. Because of inefficiencies (and other issues) in simply watching the richtextbox itself and performing updates when it changes, I'd rather just watch for the WM_SENDMESSAGE (or whatever it's using to update the window), make a copy of the text it's sending to the richtext for my own programmatic uses, then return the control back to the window.

Any suggestions on how I can find how the window is being updated (with WM_SendMessage, etc) and/or get the text it's using to update it?

thanks in advance,
J

Okay, Maybe I don't quite understand but why don't you just look at the change? Are you doing some massive code? I may need more info.... Brad,
Hey! email me any time! Bradsvb@yahoo.com

The 3rd party control doesn't have its own Change event?

The change occurs, on occassion, too quickly to ensure nothing is missed because of a relatively small buffer. Hence my attempts to approach it by subclassing.

I'm not sure what events the 3rd party control has. I don't have access to it. I was hoping I could do some trial and error subclassing to figure out what events were happening and go from there.

This is my first attempt delving into subclassing - so if it sounds like I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, it's because I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Consider a busy IRC channel with 3 lines of buffer and trying to make sure you get every text line - that's pretty analogous to the situation at hand.

thanks again,
J

If it is a decent ActiveX control you should be able to add it to your project and then use the object browser to see methods, events and properties for the control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back