Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sub-report within a sub-report

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottWebb

Programmer
Nov 17, 2001
GB
Working with crystal 8.5

I have a main report which is linked to an on-demand subreport. I then want that on-demand sub-report to contain a number of sub-reports itself but these are lost when the main sub-report.

Any one got any idea how to get around this, can an external link be added that might call another instance and pass some parameters ???

Will probally be using within Crystal Enterprise if this makes any difference.

Scott.

Hi
you can have a sub report with in a sub report

try to combine one of the sub as part of the main

cheers

pgtek

PgTek

I think you mean "you CANNOT have a subreport within a subreport"

ScottWebb -

describe your report better and perhaps we can redesign. For example: is it possible to make your first subport into the Main report??

Jim Broadbent

The main report contains a master list within a tabular format. And for each row then links to another report (sub-report 1) which is within a singular A4 format - on-demand.

This on-demand report itself is within a master-detail*2 relationship, i.e. This report footer links to two further sub-reports sub-reports (sub report 2-1 and subreport 2-2).

Given that both 2-1 and 2-2 relate to the primary key in sub-report 1, I believe they need to remain as sub-reports.

And the requirements are such that the main report is used as a navigation method to sub-report 1 and formats differ to require different reports.

I hope that explanation makes some sense, if any recommendations could be made in order to redesign I would welcome the suggestions.

Thanks,

Scott

PS Reports are based on Oracle stored procedures.

hi
Scott
There no way this can be done the way you have it designed.
It might work on Star-Trek but not on crystal.
you have to find a way to combine some of your sub report to the main report since you cant have sub report with in sub report.

cheers

pgtek

Scott,

As you're by now aware, you can't nest subreports. But there is usually a way around this.

If it's at all possible, I would suggest storing the values you need to pass to the sub-sub-reports within shared variables in the first subreport.

Remove the sub-sub-reports from the subreport, and instead place them in the main report, in a section following the first subreport's sections.

Pass the shared variables from the first subreport to the main report, and then feed them to the 2 new subreports.

Please return if you're having problems with this approach.

Naith

I like Naith's approach

Scott...you could make your problems a whole lot simpler by sketching out an example and tables involved....not easy to picture exactly what you are doing

Jim Broadbent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back