Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sub --> Sub Report Field not Showing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bchemist

Programmer
Apr 3, 2002
US
I have a VERY complex report. It works fine 99.9% of the time; however every one in a while I will have a field simply not show up on the complete report.

Basically I have

A) A Main report with 8 Sub Sections on it (each one is a sub report)

B) In each sub Report there are at least 8 grouping field, in two of the 8 initial sub reports one of the grouping fields is another sub report.

C) In each of these Sub--> Sub Reports there are at least 8 more sections.

In C) if the detail section has only 1 item displaying and is the last time that the sub report is called up, then sometimes it will not show up on the Main report. It is there because I can view the sub report and the fields are there, I can view the first level of Sub Reports B) and the fields no longer print.

Has anybody seen anything like this before? I have figured out a work around in that I can change the sort order, or the pagination. However this is tedious, and hard to explain to customers why sometimes their reports are sorted one way while other times they are sorted another way, and some times they are continuous while other times they aren't. This is a HUGE inconvenience to my customers since there reports can easily be hundreds of pages long, and they want to be comfortable navigating them.

If you have seen anything like this or have any ideas, email and I can send you a basic example of the report with sample data that will illustrate the problem.

By the way I am using Access 97 for the most part operating in a mixed environment of 98, NT, 2K and XP machines, with much of the data coming from a Client / Server scenario.

If the data in the subreport is in a different section than the detail section (report footer, page footer, etc.)
and the detail section is blank, I think it could cause the subreport to act funky in the main report - also depends on what fields you are using to relate the reports to one another....Just a shot in the dark though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back