Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sub Folders not inheriting permissions from parent folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingFrog

Programmer
Jun 24, 2003
US
Hello friends
I have a folder called Accounts on my server.
There are two user groups Accounting and Admin.
I want to give full permissions to both the groups on Accounts folder and its subfolders and files.
I checked all the permissions, clicked on advanced and checked the checkbox to allow permission propogation to sub folders.
After doing the above
When I check the permissions of the sub folders,the permissions of the subfolders are not checked(they should grayed out if they had inherited the permissions from the parent).
any ideas why i'm not able to propogate the permissions.

Thanks

Are you unchecking the "Allow inheritable permission from parent to propagate to this object" on both the "Security" page an on the "Advanced" settings page. Then checking the "Reset permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inhertitable permissions" on the "Advanced" page.

That should do it.

Also if you aren't the owner of these subfolders I don't think the permissions are inherited.

Billk's post is correct. Ownership doesn't matter to inheritance, but it will matter when resetting the permissions on the sub directories. You may receive errors if the administrator is not the owner when it comes through to replace the permissions.

PSC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back