Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

su is not acceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhawani123

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
IN
Hello guys,

one of my solaris 2.5.1 system accept only initial login.If I do su -username it do not accept the login name and not accepting rlogin to another terminal.

Regd,
Ajay lohani

Ajay, are you getting any messages printed to the screen when trying to su, and are there any messages in /var/adm/sulog relating to the attempts?

Yes.Please find error message which I got on the screen.

asheesh@dcmsparc:/home/asheesh 1 > su - ajayk
Password:
Bad group id.
su: Invalid ID
asheesh@dcmsparc:/home/asheesh 2 > su - gurpreets
Password:
Bad group id.
su: Invalid ID

Regd,
Ajay Lohani

Have you checked whether the group listed for the user in /etc/passwd actally exists in /etc/group? The number and name of the group the user is a member of should be included in the latter.

If not, add it or change the user's group to a valid one and this will hopefully solve your problem. Good luck.

Hello KenCunningham,

This System is a NIS client and yesterday it was working fine.Even su - root is not acceptable.

Regd,
Ajay Lohani

Sorry NIS is outside my experience, but presumably the NIS server is up and hasn't been changed in any way since yesterday?

try changing your /etc/nsswitch.conf passwd line to just files, (remove the nis bit for the moment)

then give it a go again.

Hello mcrobiej,

I tried as you said.Firstly Removed the nis bit from /etc/nsswitch.conf file and restarted the daemon nfsd.
But I am getting same error message.

Regd,
Ajay Lohani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back