Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

STYLEREF in Footers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACTHelp

MIS
Feb 8, 2005
US
Hello All,

I'm writing a user manual. I have three levels of headers...heading 1,heading 2 and heading 3.

In the footer of my document I have {STYLEREF "Heading 1"}, and the same for headingss 2 and 3. With the idea being that you can flip through the bottom of the pages and view the topics.

However, I've found that WORD will look forward three or four pages when I don't have a Heading 3 or Heading 2.

For example:

My TOC says.

Accounts......................3
Adding new Accounts .......5
Adding Contacts.........8

I'd like the bottom of pages 3 and 4 to just have:

Accounts

The bottom of pages 5,6,7 should have:

Accounts
Adding new Accounts

And the bottomr of page 8 should have:

Accounts
Adding new Accounts
Adding Contacts

But what I currently get is basically the last scenaro on all the pages.

Help!

Version please? I am trying to duplicate this.

Gerry

I played with it some more this morning and discovered that if I remove my inserted page breaks and simply press enter forcing blank lines..the footers work perfectly. This is not how I'd like to do this thoughh.

Manual Page Breaks are not paragraph separators - they 'belong to' the following paragraph.

In this case your Heading 2 is not ..

"Adding etc.",

it is

"^mAdding etc."

(where ^m is the manual page break")

This means that the Heading 2 paragraph starts on the page before the one that actually contains the "Adding..." text, and is found by the StyleRef search.

In my view this is rather poor design but you can work round it by putting an empty paragraph after the page break and before the heading - make sure it isn't in heading style - and making it very small or hidden so it doesn't affect your layout.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Tony,
Thank you so much that worked. However, you do say that this is rather poor design. What would be another approach to accomplish this?

Thanks again for your help,
Cindy

Sorry, Cindy, I meant poor design on Microsoft's part - not yours! There's nothing wrong with what you are doing.

Enjoy,
Tony

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to help you; help us to do it by reading this: Before you ask a question.
Excel VBA Training and more Help at VBAExpress[

Manual Page Breaks are very problematic to Word. This is just one illustration of the problems it causes. Far better is to add a PageBreakBefore to the paragrah where you want to start a new page. There's a command you can drag onto a Toolbar already listed under 'All Commands' in the Customise dialog.

Word will love you for it|!

Regards: tf1

And far better would be to use a specific paragraph style that has the PageBreakBefore in it.

Gerry

Very true Gerry - but we all sin sometimes!

Regards: tf1

yeah....well my bias towards styles is fairly well known here. ;-)

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back