Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Style Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

codeWarrior456

Technical User
Oct 27, 2002
US
How can I get a message box to display the style of an object on my page. For example, if I want to check the style of a div on the page and display it in a message box, how could this be done?

Thanks in advance.

It depends on:
a) Where the style is defined, ie is it:
[ul][li]In a <style></style> section of your document?, Or[/li]
[li]In a separate style sheet, linked to your document?, Or[/li]
[li]In the div tag itself <div style=&quot;color:#0000ff;&quot;>?[/li][/ul], and
b) How the style gets applied to the div, do you:
[ul][li]Redefine the Div tag in a stylesheet? Or[/li]
[li]Define a custom class in the stylesheet and use <div class=&quot;myCustomClass&quot;>?, Or[/li]
[li]Define a class for a particular ID using the # operator in your stylesheet?, Or[/li]
[li]Define the style inline in the div tag itself?[/li][/ul]

If you defined the style inline, in the div tag itself, you can access the properties through the style object of the div. If the style was defined in a <style> block elsewhere in your document, you will have to access the style through the rules collection of the styleSheets collection belonging to the document. If the style was defined in a separate CSS file and linked to by your document, you won't be able to access the style and will have to content yourself by looking at the native properties of the div.

I am referring to using the style tag within the tag itself, though now I think I've got it figured out now.

msgbox document.all.item(&quot;divTest&quot;).style.display

For some reason this wasn't working earlier. I'm guessing there was a problem with one of my style tags or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back