Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stuttering playback in Premier 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knackers

Technical User
Apr 26, 2001
AU
Hi. I have an issue with the preview and export of my timelines appearing jerky and occassionally stuttering. My setup is as follows:

Y2K professional OS, PIII - 700Mhz, 256Mb RAM, Sony i-link capture card, Premier 6.0

I am trying to transfer the completed timelines onto a Sony PC110 camera, via firewire.

I have tried recording from the preview, exporting the final timeline and then starting a new project and importing the clip, exporting to tape but they all seem to give the same results.

When you view the original captured files in Quicktime or Windows Media player they appear fine.

I have kept the Windows Task manager open to monitor the CPU and RAM usage, and it never seems to run out of resource?

After searching this forum, it appears that a lot of people are having the same problem - but there has been very few suggestions to rectify?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Try this... in your project preferences section... fiddle around in the area where it talks about previewing and capturing on the desktop... mine was being all jittery until I changed a setting there... I think I told it not to preview on the desktop... try that, and see how it goes.

Thanks - I already tried that, but still the same result

I think that my machine just isn't up to the task

Not sure if it's your machine or not. I am runnning Premiere 6 on and AMD Athelon 1.3 GHz machine with 512 MB RAM and I too have the stuttering problem in preview mode.

I have experienced the problem with multiple OS's, XP, W2K and NT.

It has been such a pain that I have re-installed version 5 for projects that don't require features in 6 and things work just fine.

I have yet to find an acceptable solution for this problem on Macromedia's web site. There is a possible solution described there that you might try.

Sorry I can't point you to it as I don't have that information with me.

Brad

Several people I have talked with stated to update your software with version 6.01 and that would fix the problem.

I had the same problem - and then downloaded 6.01 - all went fine for first 30mins. Then all of a sudden it started stuttering again. This time the audio as well as the video - don't know what it going on!

My son is experiencing the same problem with Premiere 6.0. I sure hope somebody out there figures out what's going on. So far, we haven't been able to successfully save a decent movie sequence to analog tape without it being all choppy in both sound and video.

For all who have problems with stuttering playback or preview.

Check your hard drive speed and data transfer rate.

It is recomanded you use a separated hard drive dedicated for your media file and not using the same physical disk which the OS install on and need to be at least 12 mb/sec data transfer rate, below this you can get these problems.

Of course it's recomanded to use ultra width scsi controller and hard drive.

My file is on a different drive from both the OS and the adobe premiere 6.0 program.
When I export back to the camcorder via firewire, the playback is choppy

My system is AMD XP1600+ with 512MB DDR windows XP and
120 GB Hardisk, partitioned 3 ways.

I also closed all the other programs running in the background. Toggle the settings to not show on the monitor

The result : STILL CHOPPY and its at random points never the same points twice. Tried rendering first too.

Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!

hello all,

I've actually got a weaker system than most of you, and while before I had a lot of problems exporting to my Pana NV-C5 camcorder via firewire, a few tweaks seemed to have fixed things. Since most of you are pro users, you've probably done all these things, but maybe a reminder can't hurt or maybe it'll jog your thinking. I managed to export without any problems even though I had some raw footage and the preview files on the same drive as my OS and Premiere.

My system:

Celeron2 600 (747Mhz)
512 MB SDRAM
Two IBM 40 GB ATA100 drives
One Seagate 28 GB ATA66 drive
ATI All-in-Wonder Radeon
SB Live (4.1)

Project/Export Settings:

MS DV/DV1 Avi, 720X480, 29.97fps
Lower Field setting
32000 khz/stereo, 16 bit stereo,
Best rate conversion, logarithmic audio fades,

12GB of raw DV footage and 3.7 GB of preview files on one drive (ATA 100)
35 GB of raw DV footage and 5megs of jpg's on another drive (ATA 66)
coupla megs of MP3's on the old Seagate.(ATA 33)

System settings:

1)I hope all of you are running a fixed swap file, and have it optimized with Norton Utilities, makes most apps a lot faster

2)After having captured all your raw footage to the drives, defragment all of them. (Norton Utilites rocks for this)

3)At first, I set DV playback to desktop to OFF. The video streaming to the camera was fine, but the sound started to skip. Then I thought maybe the export to the player was actually a dump FROM the desktop, so I set DV playback to desktop back to ON. Started the export and plugged in my headphones into the camera and voila, everything was working. The desktop playback was incredibly jerky, but all that mattered was what the camera was receiving and the LCD confirmed that.

Hi - I use a 1Gb RAM 2 933 MHz processors 140 Gb W2k machine with Premiere 5.1/Pinnacle DV500 and the only place it stutters badly is in printing to DV tape. My C: drive is all one partition, as supplied by Dell. If I used Partition Magic to add a partition (logical? other?) for video could I do it on the existing HD, or do I have to format the whole drive? I use 5.1 since DV500 is a very hairy card and Pinnacle says they have no data that 6.01 would work.

Edwin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back