Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sturdy Cordless Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHAX

Vendor
Sep 5, 2003
US
Whats a good long range sturdy cordless phone for use in a warehouse application?

Thanks

Anything other than engenius, my customer wasn't please with the engenious line.

I've had good luck with Panasonic, Vtech is alright but not the greatest.

I like vtech I guess I still rember when they where the only 900mhz and cost 180.00 or so.

I usally suggest the customer buy their own that way when there is a problem with the actaull phone they can just take it back to meglo-mart themselves and im not stuck with warranty on a consumer electronics item

I use about 25 "Voyager" around the Ports of Auckland in and around containers and on board ships.They have a range of 1 - 5Km with an external aerial aprx 500m with standard ae. Not as robust as I would like,won't stand a drop from a 30' straddle. Made in Taiwan don't know who/if agent in your area but they are the only one that I have heard of that cuts the mustard as far as distance is concerned email "voyager@gtico.com.tw"

We sell the engenius and have a lot of customer problems with them. (I have personally experienced: self de-registering, loose/poor battery connection shutting off the phone, belt clips that break easily, displays losing numerous rows or columns of pixels or fading to the point of being unreadable, poor service from canadian distributor.)

They do have nice range, but Voyager is marginally better. Our tests using the same omnidirectional antenna at 20 feet fed with 9913 was 2.2km on engenius, 2.4km with voyager. Beacuse voyager uses analog (F3) modulation, it tolerates weak signal better. However, from a practical use perspective, for all intents and purposes, you may as well consider their range more or less the same.

Engenius is heavy and a some users don't like it for that reason.

Voyager does not have an easily swappable battery from a daily cycle perspective, plus the drop in charger DC coax power point can be pushed into the charger's case if you're not VERY careful with it.

Engenuis is relatively secure in its digital transmission system but audio quality is less natural. It also has a nifty 'handset to handset' full duplex walky-talky mode that some places actually use.

I would not call either of them heavy duty nor would they survive long in a rough use environment.

My two cents.
Pat

I have found teledex portable phones very good. They are hotel phones. and i have droped it many times. They are also good because the handsets never go missing because its not something that anyone can use at home. When I had engenius the handsets went missing once and a while. Jake

Jake,

How was the range on the teledex units? Is it meant to cover the whole hotel or only for a guest to use in the room?

Pat MacKinnon
Omni telecommunications Inc.,
London, Ontario, Canada
omnitel-ca

Teledex has 2 models. There is a 900Mhz model which is the only one sold in the US. It is a very good unit and I have not had problems with reception. Also there is a 1.8 GHz you can find it on EBAY once and a while model. which i use in my home in New Hampshire. As im out in the middle of no where its not going to intefere with anything. Which if you are in a wooded area it should be Ok to use if you check for interfreacne. But.... i have used one at a hotel. And i could go to the next floor down and keep it with me at the pool and still awnser it.

Teledex.com has more info and u can order units there. I dont know where else you can get them.

Jake

There is also an analog 4 line system that is called Mobicel. It is reasonably sturdy, has an NiMH battery and uses a cell system that apparrantly can be expanded quite a bit. Works in the 900Mhz range and uses an analog signal. I have two in service over four years and am pleased with the performance so far.

PhM

If you're willing to spend the money look at Spectralink. The Link150 system is easy to work with. I believe each control unit supports 16 telephones and 6 antennas. The antennas can be as far as a mile away from the control unit but not closer than about 75' to each other. Seamlessly handles handoff of calls from antenna to antenna. I have the larger version of the system installed at my location with 70 telephones and 18 antennas. The phones get dropped and walked on once in a while and need to go back for repair but in general they're not bad.

I just purchased an EnGenius SN-920 Ultra 900 Mhz cordless phone for use in our customer service department. Previously we used a cell phone so our CSR's could make and receive emergency calls while out on the shop floor. However, the cell phone reception in our plant was very poor and we often lost calls. The EnGenius phone has a strong enough signal to go through our entire manufacturing plant on both floors without loosing the signal. This thing is amazing. It is also an improvement because we can now forward calls from our emergency phone to another internal extension. Before our emergency calls were sent off network to the cell phone. To top it off, it will pay for itself in less than a year since we can get rid of that monthly cell phone bill.

Ken Johnson
ITT Industries, Engineered Process Solutions Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back