Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid Topography question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixiepoet

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
Hello all!

This might be a dumb question:

We want to add a networkable printer to another room (2 down from the server). Can I just use a hub and split the ethernet connection we have already in that room OR do I have to run a whole other cable into that room?

What are the ramifications/consequences of using a hub in that room instead of running another cable into that room from the main hub? (eg: speed, special type of hub, etc)

Thank you, I really appreciate any help I can get!

Yes, you can use a hub to split it off.
Only ramifications, hub failure (it could happen).

You could use a mini hub but, I would pull another cable. By using a mini hub you are sharing the same port off the hub or switch thus sharing the bandwidth between both devices. Depending on what is being used by the device that is already connected you may create problems. Another thought is that if the one port fails for any reason, cable,port,switch, both devices will not work. If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Hope this helps, Mikey.

If you're managing your traffic on your switch, adding a mini hub at the end of a run will eliminate the managability of that run.

If you're not managing your traffic, then it shouldn't be a big deal. I'd use a small switch instead of a hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back