Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid SIP question 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

actswitch

Programmer
Jun 22, 2007
GB
Ok, I have to 'fess up, SIP is as much a mystery to me as the mind of a beautiful woman.

Here's my problem, I have a client who has a box called a Hubba. It has a 3G SIM card and a LAN connection. He wants me to connect this Hubba to their 3300 via SIP to act as a backup to the PRI (PSTN calls go to the Hubba and out through the 3G). The 3300 has 10 SIP trunk licenses assigned and no IP networking. Is it just a case of creating a Network Element which points to the Hubba, ticking the SIP Peer box, creating a SIP Peer Profile, assigning an ARS route and away we go, or is this guy making a massive assumption that anything with an IP address can support SIP? Can it?

Thank you for any light you can shed on this....

All I ever wanted to do was climb telephone poles - where did it all go wrong?

Does this "Hubba" box connect to a SIP service provider?
Checked MOL no documentation referring to "Hubba" so configuration may not be that straight forward.

I've not handled this type before, but with other GSM gateway's it is simple SIP connection. One thing obvious to remember is that you should never have more SIP trunk connections then the "BOX" has simcards.

Thanks for replying Guys. The Hubba box is not connected to a SIP provider, it just has 1 Orange Mobile 3G card stuck in thr top. I can log onto it and go through it's menu, and it does not mention SIP at all. I think this is a non starter.
It seems to me people are assuming SIP will work on any old box with a LAN connection, especially consultants who know a few buzz words but have little experience of the real comms world. Harumph!

All I ever wanted to do was climb telephone poles - where did it all go wrong?

Your original post could be correct IF the box can take a SIP trunk. It is most likely that the Hubba supports SIP user and not SIP trunking. Therefore you are kind of out of luck.

If the device can handle SIP trunks then if you set it up so it connects to the 3300 like a SIP trunk provider or another PBX, then it is only a matter of setting up ARS.

If it only supports SIP users, then I guess if you could set it up on the 3300 as a SIP handset it might still work. to use it you would call the extension programmed for the Hubba and your hope would be that on answer you would have access to the 3G. The question is now what? You have a user attached to the Hubba SIP extension but how do you get routed to another party? The hubba would need to be linked to a SIP provider or would need something like Skype to do anything else.

Long and short of it is the client is out of luck.

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back