Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid Question, But don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chmex21

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
This might be a stupid question, but here goes. I need to setup Ftp access to a linux server. I have already added the user and set up the Home dir. But how do i lock them in the home dir? Basically so they can't back out and see other dirs. Thanks.

Depends: Whats your ftpd-the generic bsdftpd or something like wu-ftpd or proftpd?

Hi,

With wu-ftpd this is not a simple as you might like unfortunately. You basically have to set up a chroot jail, i.e. you create a minimal environment somewhere in the directory tree (e.g. under /home/ftp/) where there is a minimal linux environment such that the user's root directory can be made to be at that point. So /home/ftp appears as '/' to such users and they can't navigate beyond that. See -->
I would suggest looking at proftpd which is much more helpful in these kind of areas. It has features such as virtual hosts (similar to Apache). You can use directives like :

<VirtualHost myhost.mynet.foo>
DefaultRoot /home/ftp/public ftpusers
</VirtualHost>

The above would jail all members of the linux security group 'ftpusers' to /home/ftp/public

For proftpd downloads look at --> and for documentation .

Hope this helps

I am a little confused, but let me add something to this. We are running a web server for some of or friends and i want to lock them into there own home dir that they upload for the web pages. Would i have to download a separte Ftp program for Linux or can i use the one that comes with it?

Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back