Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid fun with 9600 phones and passwords. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPM86

IS-IT--Management
May 14, 2023
US
So I ordered a couple of used 9640g phones from e-pay and surprise. The login code is not default. Yes I sent the seller a message and they just pointed me
to default login code.
From what I can tell they boot up normal looking at 225 and then vlan 0 for dhcp. But they never seem to get
a number assigned They then have an automatic extension number and then go into discover looking for a ip office server.
So I went down the list of a seperate dhcp server, avaya ip office dhcp server. etc etc. Change and setup
then network to the discover numbers. No luck. But, at some point. Before I go to deep. The stupid phone (more the one boot.)
stopped at the login for user and password. The problem is I went back and saved my changed again telling it to create user account.
Well the phone went back to cycling again. I have yet to figure out how I got it to stop. If I can get to stop on
asking for login. Then I can do some more stuff.

Any ideas on what stupid thing I clicked to catch the phone?

Thanks,

Josh

Sorry, just to be clear, is the phone pulling 46xxsettings and 46xxspecials from your own IPO?

If so, could you use the SET PROCPSWD command in the 46xxspecials file so you can get into the phones and reset them properly..

Once the phone then pulls the updated 46xxsettings file, you've reset the phones admin password and can reset the phone back to factory default.

Thanks, Tim
Adelaide, Australia

So I have not messed with the 46setttings files yet. This is due to the fact the phones never seem to get a ip number. I scan the network with say angry ip scanner and they don't show up.
However, during that time it did stop and ask for login. I figured something is up. It would be nice to know if the phones is actually pulling something from the server. But as
explained above. When I realized the phone pulled something. I went back and saved config I had. The phone stopped doing that. So I don't even know at this point if the phone
is still pulling anything from my server. But, I was thinking maybe I'm putting to much thought into this. I should just modify the file and be done with it.

One more thing since this is just messing around. I know you can pull files 2 ways. Either from the ip office manager or the ip office itself. I don't see anything telling me
the phone is pulling from either place. No matter what I setup. Telling it to pull the tftp from the manager or default the memory card.

Thanks,

Josh

Does it ever display '* to program' ??? If it does then just do a 'clear' If it asks for a password 27238 (craft).

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

No the default log in does not work. I got another avaya phone today and even though the phone is not supported on ip office.
I worked just fine. got dhcp, found the server, and logged in. I also found out what it was not supported.
I have a theory on a few things. But, I can't remember my password to the cisco poe switch. I noticed the new phone starts out with
dhcp vlan 0 and finds a ip number. These other phones start at vlan 225 and the dhcp. Then switch to vlan 0 dhcp. But never finding a
dhcp number

Thanks,

Josh

Update. I got the phone to get a dhcp and register with the system. Still need to reset the password back to default. But, they are registered.
What I had to do on the Cisco switch was create the vlan 225 and link it together. I can only imagine why you would have two vlan for dhcp and getting the phone to work.

Thanks for the help. Oh and I found out why the 7960g is not supported on a ip office 500v2. I might toy with it. But I doubt it.

Thanks,

Josh

you can get the 46xxsettings.txt file from your system
then add the PROCSPWD like tac84 said and upload it to your system again

Restart one phone and see if it works

you delete it afterwards again if you like because by default the password is 27238 already

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

I found an answer on another forum using linux. But I used tftpd32 and it worked great. The person who posted the answer in another forum gets the credit. They was not sure if tftpd worked or not since it had
a build in dhcp server you can add options into. It worked just fine. Also, I need to look into more info about the .txt files. But since this is just messing around. I don't know when I'll get to that. I'm just happy to have analog, digital, and voip phones all on the same system. Even got a nice sbm24 too. Even though I have some nice CISCO poe switch. I ordered an Avaya poe brick for future projects. But for now I need to hold off. Spending to much money on this little project.

Thanks,

Josh

So you found an answer, but you're not going to share!

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

tftpd is the file server so you basically created another server to send the 46xxsettings.txt file to the phone or you simply upgraded the phone via that.

tftpd has nothing to do with the actual password that you asked for. So your "other people in a linux forum are smarter and had the answer" seems to me like a slap in the face. It seems that your messing about with the phones is really founded in you just wanting to play with it but you seem still not to get how the phones actually work on a rudimentary level.

I think you did more work than needed as you have a perfectly fine DHCP and file server build right into the IPO that you could have used. There are many answers in here that would have resolved your password problem but not would have taught you how to setup a network for Avaya IP phones which was never asked.
Good to hear that you got that working though and good luck with the rest.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

I didn't even do that.

Under tftpd32 or 64 you have dhcp settings. Under settings you just put in Additional option 242 with PROCPSWD=27238

Once the phone picked up the dhcp server and got an ip address assigned to it. Press * (asterisk key) and you are in with default code.

This is the post I got the info from.

Thanks,

josh

Thanks Josh

Star for the solution, the writing of the solution and not just a link because links tend to go numb after time and then become useless.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS, ACIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back