Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stupid customers 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2007
US
Customer 47
January 2014 - Remove malware from new customer's PC. Customer is known to have ample money.
Advise customer that outdated AVG Free isn't worth much in terms of virus protection
Customer totally ignores my suggestion to purchase "real" A-V software for his five person office
November 2014 - Customer gets Crypto Locker malware killing all the files on his computer. NO backup.
Humble IT person STRONGLY recommends Symantec this OR Mcafee that - anything.
Customer ignores suggestion even after losing all his data to Crypto Locker
Am I dreaming? How could they be this dumb? Arrogant?

Customer 63
November 2013 - discuss replacing old Dell PowerEdge 830 server running Windows 2003. Put in place in 2006.
Customer says "great idea". "We'll do it in spring 2014 after our busy season is over"
Spring 2014 leads to Summer 2014 leads to Fall 2014 No response on replacing server
Winter 2015 Customer says "We'll do it in spring 2015 after our busy season is over"
Are you kidding me? Going into your busy season with a nine year old server. Granted the RAID 1 with new drives was installed in 2012, but a 9 year old power supply/motherboard.

Customers - you can't live with 'em and you can't shoot 'em. Or well, it's not advised.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Well, you can do your best to get fired. Did that with AT&T a long time ago.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I don't want to get fired, I just wanted to vent. I have dumped customers in the past because they were absolutely impossible to deal with.

And if the server craps out...
"it's your fault, you should have told me I was using old equipment".
"I did tell you".
"Well you should had made me understand how critical it was."

But if it makes it thru another season.
"How dare you try to sell me something I didn't need."
"Am I some kind of computer mind reader?

Went through this with one. I sued for the repair parts cost then was countersued for $40K for reload of data to repair the databases that he corrupted. Judge insisted it was in both our interests to kiss and make up.

This after telling the operator to not attempt a data load from a recovery service because the file systems were not mounted. Boss told him to do it anyway and his recovered data overwrote other valid stuff that they were not smart enough to figure out how to recover.

Ed Fair

And if the server craps out...
"it's your fault, you should have told me I was using old equipment".
"I did tell you".
"Well you should had made me understand how critical it was."

But if it makes it thru another season.
"How dare you try to sell me something I didn't need."
"Am I some kind of computer mind reader?"

Yes, this encapsulates my frustration/situation. I just hate to come in and "pick up the pieces" after something horrible happens vs. preventing a crisis. But, I suppose get paid either way. Sort of like the undertaker - he gets his money from you SOME day.

You do have a differential billing rate, don't you. Fixing stupid should cost your customer more.

Ed Fair

We have a little used but nice CYA process. If someone has been advised of the criticality of some upgrade, but refuses, they are given a document to sign stating that they have been advised of the problem and its risk, and have decided not to have the recommended work done.

It takes the power out of any claims they may make that they weren't advised of the risk. Plus all blame points to them for being the one to decide to not have the work done. A lot of times it makes them reconsider the work. If they still decide to not do it, it at least reduces (but not eliminates) the finger pointing.

I've seen similar liability release documents used at auto repair shops when things like brake work is refused.

Back in the days when I spent my days taking calls I would usually put the disclaimer or note on the bill. Unfortunately that didn't cover the partial repair where the customer wiped out his database.

Ed Fair

You do have a differential billing rate, don't you. Fixing stupid should cost your customer more.
Funny - I'm taking this as a joke. You tell the customer, "you've been stupid and this will cost you more". Not real customer friendly.

they are given a document to sign stating that they have been advised of the problem and its risk
I think this would really strain relations with most customers. Basically like shoving it in their face. I DO keep emails (saved as PDFs) where they say "Nah, we don't want no anti-virus".

I am not a lawyer, but this would not save you. Double negative, so it actually says: “Nah, we don't want no anti-virus”
‘Nah’ can also be interpreted in 15 different ways... :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

I don't see this as a joke.

A quoted install of replacement equipment costs X

An unscheduled service outtage and repair costs whatever it takes however long it takes at emergency rates

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

Goom's:
"you've been stupid and this will cost you more". Not real customer friendly.

Actually had a customer error clause in my lease contracts.

Unfortunately the AT&T issue was caused by the owner (I was 3rd party maintainer) not having the same clause in his so I ended up eating the expense while the owner's exit clause was in process.

Ed Fair

Goom's:
"you've been stupid and this will cost you more". Not real customer friendly.

Fixing stupid should cost your customer more.
That was edfair's idea, not mine. I was making fun of it as not do-able, not customer friendly.

emergency rates - I have no concept of this. Tell me more about your policies/pricing!!!

In lease contract:
Prime shift coverage included 8AM to 5PM M-F holidays excluded
Customer error billing allowed

Extended day coverage billing at 150% of standard rates picked up Sat & Sun and till 9PM

Anything outside of the above at 200% of standard rates.

Time and material rates also increased in the same proportions.

Granted that it was a different time and the neighborhood teenager couldn't fix what I worked on. The customer had alternate ways of getting the stuff fixed but generally it would cost considerably more in respect to labor costs or downtime.

Ed Fair

Customer error billing allowed
So, I don't understand this. Does it matter if a customer caused a problem or it was lightning or a Microsoft update? You still have to fix it. How did lableing something "customer error" influence billing rate, assuming within normal billing rate hours.

I don't think you're saying that you will bill a customer a higher rate just because they broke something!!!! That would be punitive pricing.

Assume a service call during normal working hours where maintenance is included in the rental/lease cost. Customer error billing kicks in as additional maintenance charge which would not have been billed under normal circumstances.

Assume a customer error on an out of band call. Full billing. If it was something that was not their fault then probably would bill for travel miles and travel time. There was a good bit of discretion used.

Ed Fair

I see. I'm just straight hourly break/fix regardless of the reason why.

I was doing remote support at a hospital when a senior manager called me. She was furious as we had changed her email (from Lotus Notes to Outlook), and now every time she sent a mail a copy of it appeared in front of her. After five minutes on the phone the penny dropped at my end, and I gently asked "at the top of your inbox, does it say 'Sent Items'?"

It did

I'm the reason why Paradise Lost

goombawahoo said:
Humble IT person STRONGLY recommends Symantec this OR Mcafee that - anything.

I'd use AVG Free over those two abominations any day! (Neither would have saved your customer from CryptoLocker in my experience...)

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back