Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stumper on Windows Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

1234mep

Technical User
Nov 13, 2001
US
I have a Win/ME home PC.
When I start the pc a unwanted "girly" splash screen appears and icons are placed on the Start Menu and Desktop. A directory is created C:\Liveshows containing the DIALER.EXE that produced the Spash Screen.

I have deleted the C:\liveshows and removed the directory
Nothing is in the LOAD or RUN line of the WIN.INI
Nothing in the SYSTEM.INI, AUTOEXEC.BAT, or StartUp Directory.

Nothing can be found in Add/Remove Programs.

I have checked in *.CMD, *.BAT, other *.INI files. NOTHING!

Nothing is in the Registry that links to this action for "SHOW" or "LIVE".

I have created other logins and the problem is duplicated with each login reguardless if I copy anything or nothing.

What did I miss?

did u check msconfig?

<start->run, type msconfig, go to startup tab>

[deejay]
cdogg

Did you just delete the file, or did you uninstall it.

Sometimes when you just delete the file of something and don't uninstall it, Windows will still have some files elsewhere and you won;t be able to see it in the add/remove programs list. Always best to uninstall programs.

My advice would be to, find out whatever program that was, re-install it (it will install over the other files and make a new log file), then un-install it, and it should be gone. [deejay]
Nate
&quot;If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!&quot;

There were no *.VBS files pertinate to this situation.

I went to the DOS window to delete files and the directory.
I can't locate the installer package. There is no evidence in the Add/Remove Programs that the program exists.

If you don't see anything obvious under the startup tab of msconfig, then I would definitely try Nate's suggestion to reinstall the application if you've got the installer and re-remove it.

Also, make sure you check the following locations in the registry and make note of all the entries you find:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back