Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stumped: Server Lockups

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCSAbrian

MIS
May 28, 2002
US
I have two HP servers that are locking up about twice a week. HP is stumped and no hardware problems have been found. There are no errors in the event logs. When I look at the server I can usually perform one action before the screen goes to a blank background, such as pressing CTRL-ALT-Del to try to login. The server will set there for hours locked up with no change. When it is locked up you cannot do anything to it from the network such as see file shares or remotely manage it. One server is running Windows 2000 and the other 2003. The only thing they have in common is that both are fiber attached to our SAN. I am out of ideas, any help is appreciated.

Could be a memory leak, virus, or malware, bad driver..

For a start...

First run Trend Micro free virus scan from the web
Get Adaware and Spybot on the server, run them from safe mode, clean up any malware.

Startup normally, run Adaware and Spybot again, they should show no errors, Spybot may show one exploit, kind of normal.

Are you fully patched ?

List/post the resident programs which run on the server.

After a normal startup, verify all the processes listed belong to the OS or resident programs

On the servers print screen the Task mangers process screen showing at least the CPU time and Mem usage just after login, keep an eye on the memory usage as time progresses. Print out the performance screen also. Would be nice if you had another server similarly setup to compare the memory usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back