Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stumped By The Easiest Things 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarScream

Technical User
Oct 10, 2001
US
Help,

For some reason I can't get this to work. I've written several completed DBs and am working on a new project. Had it all working fine until I tried to write an ASP page using this query. Any thoughts on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Code:
SELECT PersonnelName FROM PersonnelTable INNERJOIN SystemTable ON PersonnelID=SysPersID WHERE SystemName='Microsoft'

PS - Here is the ASP that the query is in. It comes back with an error in the bolded line below.

Code:
<%
    Set DataConn = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Connection&quot;)
    DataConn.Open &quot;Driver=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);DBQ=&quot; & Server.MapPath(&quot;Database.mdb&quot;)

Set cmdTemp = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Command&quot;)
    Set rstTable = Server.CreateObject(&quot;ADODB.Recordset&quot;)

cmdTemp.CommandText = &quot;SELECT PersonnelName FROM PersonnelTable INNERJOIN SystemTable ON PersonnelID=SysPersID WHERE SystemName='Microsoft'&quot;
    cmdTemp.CommandType = 1
    Set cmdTemp.ActiveConnection = DataConn
Code:
rstTable.Open cmdTemp, , 1, 3
Code:
    Response.write &quot;Person=&quot; & Server.URLEncode(rstTable(&quot;PersonnelName&quot;))

rstTable.Close
    Set rstTable = Nothing
    DataConn.Close
    Set DataConn = Nothing
%>

PJP

Hey RiverGuy,

Yeah I tried that when I realized it. But the error is still present: &quot;Join expression not supported.&quot;

Makes me think the error is in the SELECT statement, and not the rest of the code.

Any thoughts?

PJP

Have you tried just the word 'Join' without 'Inner'? It originally said that Join isn't supported?

If that is the case, why don't you try and execute that from the connection without attaching a recordset....see if it bugs out on that too.

That's a great idea!

I'm gonna go check them both out. I'll let you know shortly!

PJP

Thanks. I've usually thought Access was pretty liberal in syntax, but you can't ever be quitr sure.

Okay, neither idea worked. Too be honest, right now I don't even know if its the SELECT statement thats wrong or the rest of the ASP script.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

PJP

your sql is fine, assuming you write INNER JOIN and not INNERJOIN

rudy

Thank Rudy for confirmation!

But I get a &quot;syntax error in the FROM clause&quot; or a &quot;Join expression is not supported&quot; error. Can't seem to shake it. I can't imagine that such a simple and common thing can cause such a big problem. Does anyone have an example that does something similar that can send me a link?

Thanks.
PJP

wtf? sql/server, right? whoa, must be something else going on, because that join syntax is fine

try this equivalent

SELECT PersonnelName
FROM PersonnelTable,SystemTable
WHERE PersonnelID=SysPersID
AND SystemName='Microsoft'

rudy

er, i meant, access, right?

that inner join syntax was valid in access 97

r

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search