Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Studying is so hard, learning is even harder. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbola

Technical User
Feb 27, 2003
CA
I am studying, taking courses in software development. Right now it's VB 6.0 and I'm on the last course with a 6month project to complete afterward. Then I'd to get MS certification.

I'm a single mom (half-time custody), work full time, compete in a sport that takes up alot of my time, plus the kids have something on just about every night. I'm 40 years old, have a good job (systems admin, report writing, training staff, accounting stuff, database development mostly simple stuff for end users). I have a business admin diploma.

I tried University but just couldn't absorb the material and never had good study habits, although I graduated highschool with an A average, I never really had to study and I got by.

Now that I'm back to the books I look at alot of my younger friends in their 20's going to university like it's a breeze and they're getting 4.0's and continuing on to MBA's like it's nothing, just another part of life like high school.

Why am I finding it so difficult to learn this stuff? I read the material, follow the examples, do some research online, but it just doesn't sink in. I am getting A's, but I really don't feel like I'm learning anything. I'm getting by by copying examples of what others have already done but it means nothing to me, the code I mean.

Is there a secret to being smart??? When I finally get a half a day to study, out of a period of two weeks, I seem to find other things to do like housework! I'm not very disciplined in studying and my brain seems to quit at 9pm. The concentration isn't there. My mind wanders. I get lost in all the notes and then I get frustrated to the point of tears. I need this though. I need to further my career if I want to survive and be able to afford these ridiculous gas prices.

Any suggestions on how to make this easier? I try finding an hour a day to study but I just can't find it. I know this would help me but it takes me an hour just to get geared up to start studying never mind get into it. How come other people breeze by so easily. Things used to come to me so easy. Maybe I need to be in a classroom with a teacher, but I don't have any time for that either.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Adults have a different learning style than children and adolescents. Although those in their 20s are beyond adolescents, they still have a different learning style than older adults.

Adult learners are classified into five distinct types:
1) Confident
2) Affective
3) Learner in transition
4) Integrated
5) Risk taker

Specific strategies for these type are:
1) Confident Learners
Assignments need to have a clear purpose
Encourage participation
Provide opportunities for interactive learning with peers
2) Affective Learners
Give clearly stated assignments
Provide individualized instruction
3) Transitional Learners
Provide appropriate opportunities to explore experiences
Assume collaborative approach
Provide ample challenge
4) Integrated Learners
Provide opportunities for self-direction
Encourage flexibility
5) Risk Taker Learners
Provide assignments that encourage individuality

Following are various research findings on adult learning:

Structure of Learning Experiences

1. Adults prefer flexible schedules that respond to their own time constraints.
2. Adults learn better when learning is individualized.
3. Adults prefer face-to-face learning rather than learning through the use of video or audio communications.
4. Adults derive benefits from interactional activities with others who differ in age, level of experience, and professional preparation.

Learning Climate

1. Adult learners seem to learn better if there is an atmosphere of mutual helpfulness and peer support.
2. Since adult learners are reluctant to take risks, the climate should be characterized by a sense of trust and acceptance.
3. Adult learners appreciate the invitation to express their views and are open to the views of others.
4. Adult learners bring clear expectations to the learning environment and expect instructors to accommodate these expectations.

Focus of Learning

1. Adult learners derive the greatest benefit from instructional methods that assist them in processing their experience through reflection, analysis, and critical examination.
2. Adult learners value teaching methods that increase their autonomy.
3. Adult learners are motivated by practical how-to learning.

Teaching-Learning Strategies and Media

1. Adult learners value problem solving and cooperative learning.
2. Adult learners seem to benefit from active participation in the learning process.

Here are comparisons of thinking styles:
THINKING STYLE CHARACTERISTICS
REFLECTIVE THINKERS view new information subjectively
relate new information to past experiences
often ask "why?"
examine their feelings about what they are learning

CREATIVE THINKERS like to play with new information
always ask "why?"
make excellent troubleshooters
create their own solutions and shortcuts

PRACTICAL THINKERS want factual information without any "nice-to-know" additions
seek the simplest, most efficient way to do their work
not satisfied until they know how to apply their new skills to their job or other interest

CONCEPTUAL THINKERS accept new information only after seeing the big picture
want to know how things work, not just the final outcome
learn the concepts that are presented but also want to know the related concepts that may not have been included

Here are the main learning styles:
LEARNING STYLE CHARACTERISTICS TEACHING STRATEGIES
VISUAL LEARNERS - process new information best when it is visually illustrated or demonstrated graphics, illustrations
images
demonstrations

AUDITORY LEARNERS - process new information best when it is spoken lectures
discussions

KINESTHETIC LEARNERS - process new information best when it can be touched or manipulated written assignments, taking notes
examination of objects
participation in activities

ENVIRONMENTAL LEARNERS - process new information best when it is presented in surroundings that match learner preferences (room temperature, lighting, seating, etc.) distance learners can control their own learning environment to a larger extent than on-campus students!

So identify your learning and thinking styles and an accompnaying teaching strategy that will benefit your own learning process.

huh?

I'm already enrolled in an online course. I can't find what I need to help me. The instructor takes so long to reply to my questions.

Thanks!
Barb E.

I'm in my mid-40's and am attending school part time, working towards my bachelor's degree. If the subject matter is easy or well-known to me, I can take an online course. Otherwise, I take the time to take the class "in person". The one-on-one experience you receive with both the instructor and the other students really makes a difference. Find the time to study each day; it makes a big difference. In addition, most colleges have learning labs, where you can go & receive (free) tutoring in your subject. Just check with your college.

Susan
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
- Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

You may be in an online course, but your quote is what I was referring to earlier.
Why am I finding it so difficult to learn this stuff?
Adult learners have different learning and thinking styles than adolescents or even those who are beyond adolescence and in their 20s. Your learning style will change with age and even students the same age will have different learning styles. You need to identify your learning style and engage a teaching metodology that corresponds to your learning style.

It may be online learning isn't suited to your learning style and maybe an instructor led class is more suited to you.

Having returned to school myself, I know there is a feeling on my part that everything I turn in has to be perfect. This "fear" of being less than perfect leads to stress and procrastination.

Also, don't set aside an hour to study every night. Set aside 15 minutes. Set a timer. Don't study for less than 15 minutes, but you might find that once you start, you'll study more. Anyway, sometimes just starting is all you need to realize that starting is not so hard.

I'm going through the same issues as you right now and, although I need to subscribe to the above advice more-consistently, I have found that when I do, I feel better.

Good luck!

--Dave

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
O Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience! [infinity]

This "fear" of being less than perfect leads to stress and procrastination. " These are my feelings exactly. I get very stressed and I procrastinate alot when it comes to studying because I know I will end up with a headache and in tears.

I know that my learning style is better suited to be in a classroom with a teacher. The problem with that is the time is very restricted - I would never get my assignments in on time because I can't work at my own pace, and this course in particular is on an evening I can't possibly attend. It is also over an hour away and I can't afford the time or the gas.

I think I need to find someone who can help me out, whether it's the instructor or just somebody who knows VB. Currently I don't know anybody who knows VB. Maybe I'll find someone on here???

I also think I need to go back and spend those 15-30 min a day reviewing the last course and get back on track. I have until Dec 3 to complete this course, but it's only $50 to extend it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Are there other students in this course? Working with your classmates is usually a good way to help both of you progress. I was always told you do not truely understand somethign until you can explain it to someone else. As you said you did in high school, you just did it. If you can find a classmate, use an online tool to facilate communication such as net meeting or something. similiar.

Alot of programming is taking and using others examples. however do you understand what they are doing? that is the most important part. Though Tek-tips users usually do not help with school work, if you post sections of code you just cannot understand, other will proalby help you understand it. I dont want to write someones homework for them but have no problems explaing how somethign works.

Forum 222 is a VB forum group. You should be able to find some good info in that forum, and it's FAQ section. You can get through this, just keep your spirits up, believe in yourself, and don't give up.

What are you doing right now for a job? What are you hoping to gain from these classes?

Barbola, I read your post and could commiserate in every way. I just finished my bachelor's degree (15+ years late) and, unfortunately, have similar study habits to you. A short attention span combined with a failing memory (issues that were not so bad 15+ years ago) combined to make things rather difficult.

Indeed, I switched majors several times over the years before I finally settled on the one subject I enjoy - it is probably the only reason that I finally was able to complete my degree. It was also not in a computer or technically related field. I actually had tried for a comp sci degree, but was unable to pass one of the required classes and had to switch majors. <aside> I did finally master the subject material after I studied it on my own, the class material just wasn't suitable for figuring it out. </aside>

One of the things that helped me tremendously was having interaction with others. I understand what you say about not having the time (I am married with a child and a full-time job along with other extra-curricular activities), but there is another reality you need to face. If you are serious about obtaining this education, you need to follow many of the thoughts that some of the previous posters have made. You also need to consider re-prioritizing your life. This is not meant as a criticism, so please do not take it as such, but you are not getting anywhere in part because you are over-extended. You need to sit down and determine what is important to you and then figure out the order things should be in. If this education is so important, then put off other things that don't "have" to be done.

I know for me, it was my wife and son, then work, then school, and all extra-curricular stuff was postponed. The last several years I averaged 2-3 classes a semester and it was tough, but it got done. The only time I almost quit was when my wife was diagnosed with a serious illness, but she insisted I not quit and my professors were understanding when I explained the situation to them. That lasted for more than a year and was very tough on all levels, but it got done.

Sorry if I'm going on, I don't mean to, but one last thought. You said that you are taking online courses. I haven't taken them specifically because I don't have direct access to my professors if I need it, but can you work with your classmates online? I know that there are online blackboards and chat rooms for some classes - these may be another option if the prof is unavailable. Otherwise, I would try to work with the administration and see if there are other options.

Either way, I wish you luck. [thumbsup]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am not young enough to know everything."
Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

There's a difference between wanting to learn and needing to learn. You probably feel like you need to learn.

I just started college after a small "time off" period of 20 years. I'm going because I want to, and I'm interested in it enough to at least try to excel. I never studied in high school, I got by just like you did. However, it's HARD now, and the only way I can do it is to keep plugging. I keep doing the work over and over and over again until it makes sense. I'm afraid of online courses and the potential of missing out on something. If I get confused in class, I just have to raise my hand instead of waiting for the professor to reply to my e-mail.

I've had to alter priorities, drop out of a local tech group that I was a part of, teach hubby how to cook (read: operate microwave), put my reading and hobbies for enjoyment aside and decline many weekend invitations. Two days a week I've had to adjust my working hours. My friends, family, and co-workers are understanding and enthusiastic. I feel like I have the greatest support group a student could have. I've managed to maintain an "A" average, but I'm still a piddly little freshman in my first semester.

Check with your school to see if there are any on-campus labs or tutors. Check places like Tek-Tips or USENET for tech tips and assistance. The resources are out there and you're moving in the right direction.

Is it possible that this need isn't as important to you as your conscious self is telling you it is?

Thanks for all your replies, I knew I wasn't alone. This course is definitely not a priority but it will help me do my job better and to get ahead. My sport is about as important to me as my job, I come to work to get a break from it and for the money of course, and the sport takes alot of my time. My kids are also top priority, but my exHusband is very helpful there.

I'm a systems/database administrator for our accounting system, and I write user apps that are used in the office. I do training, report writing, some accounting and supervision. I recently proposed developing a new system to replace an old DOS one that was to be converted to windows but the developer company screwed up and now we have to wait a couple more years. I know I can do it, but sometimes I feel too challenged and it's like I would be able to do it so much better if only I had this little bit more knowledge and skills (ie. VB). I would like to get MS cert eventually, but I am in no rush.

Almost everything I have learned in the course I have been able to apply to my job, and it could mean more $$$ and possibly some contract work in the future (yeah, I have time for that LOL).

I just wish I didn't get so frustrated, and I get that pain in the back of my head. I am able to find code examples, and I try to follow them, but they seem so far advanced compared to what I think I should have learned in the course material, but maybe not, maybe I'm just so clued out as to how much I should know by now? I'm told the course should take up 5hrs a week, but this stuff doesn't sink in in that short of time.

I'll take a look at the VB site thanks for that! There are only 3 other people in the course, but I'm not sure where they are at in it, so that's not a preferable option. The instructor gave me a helpful link as well.

I'll keep plugging.

Thanks!
Barb E.

So... can we ask? What's "the sport"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
O Time, Strength, Cash, and Patience! [infinity]

I can imagine that take a lot of your time. ;-)

Enough with the jokes. Don't worry that it takes time to learn things, apparently everybody needs time to learn things and sometimes it will take ages and then all of a sudden you see the light and wonder why you didn't see it sooner.

I learned my skills from the guys on this forum by answering other peoples questions and trying to solve their problems (real world problems) and then I looked at the answers of the other MVP's and I learned even more (thanks Rick,chiph,RG,E&F and many others). And don't forget that it will take you years before you know everything (and then we die). Heck, once you know 10% of a language they call you an expert. Copy paste is your best friend and it's not steeling it's called getting inspired.

just look at me I'm a gardener turned forensic technician turned programmer.

and BTW vb6.0 is ancient history go for something OOP like Java and then go back to .net.

thanks for listening and sweep that ice(or is that the wrong sport?).

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

I just like this --> [Wiggle] [Wiggle]

barbola,

I am working hard to get MS certifications and have had put my life on hold to do it. A question I have asked myself and perhaps you need to ask yourself is....

do the benefits of learning this stuff justify the sacrifices you have to make to achieve your goal and is there enougth return on investment?

Dazed and confused
(N+, MCAD)

Of course not...there is much more to life...my life. I don't think I am sacrificing very much, other than my sanity at this point. I just want to learn visual basic to do my job better, and keep up with mgmt's reporting demands. I didn't think the coursework would be so difficult but I spent 8 hours this wknd trying to program a change to the registry...that's just stupid.

If I can get through this, and get the software development certificate I will be very happy. It will take another year still, and then I can re-evaluate whether or not I want to take the MS cert exams.

I found out I can extend this course for $50 for 3 months and can do it twice, so that gives me another 7 1/2 months yet....I shouldn't panic anymore right?

Ever thought about going in a completely different direction, like writing a book? When I see someone like Rowling make a killing after just sitting down with a PC and whacking out Harry Potter, I think, "Sheesh. I could have done that. Why am I knocking my head against a wall for this?"

With good material, you might find a publisher who'd believe in you and take a chance. Look at the lady who wrote "Seabiscuit"--she was suffering a debilitating illness and could hardly get up each day, but she wrote one book and...well, you know the story. All it would take is one good idea and, if you're a good wordsmith, you could flush the classes and fly away. The second book you could write from the balcony of your Costa Rica getaway...soft breezes, gentle surf, and a handsome young turk delivering ice tea to you. Mmmm, mmm, good.

Hey, it could happen! Dreams do come true! :)

...or just find a rich guy to date!!! I barely find time to read, never mind write!

but naaa...it would be alot more fun to have my own cashola and they can all flock to me while I receive my seaside balinese massage....muahahahahahaaaaa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back