Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Studying for 70-291: Additional Resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalmail

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
US
I am sitting the 70-291 exam for the first time in a few weeks.

I passed 70-270 first time. Then took two attempts to pass 70-290.

So far I have been studying from the Exam Cram book, from the full Preplogic pracitce exams, and by messing around with a test server. I am hearing a lot about the exam containing a lot of areas that aren't covered in some study aids, so I think I should get a third book to be safe.

Can anyone recommond another 70-291 book that would be suitable give the study aids I already have?

royalmail,

I found the MS Press book plenty adequate to pass the 70-291 exam on the first try. Terminal Services is an appendix in the MS Press book, but counts for 20% of the exam. Know how to subnet, if you don't already.

The Readiness Review CD included with the MS Press book was also excellent to prepare for the actual exam questions, covering the same topics with the same level of difficulty.

I didn't use any other study mateials, so I can't comment on them.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

I am taking the exam on Monday. I am using the big blue MS book as well. It is great to go over the Exam cram and the test server enviroment. Once you have a good working knowledge of the stuff, the big blue seems to make more sence and is very useful.

Just my opinion

Hutch
A+, Network+, MCP

Thanks.

For the MS book, is this the one?

MCSA/MCSE Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-291): Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure (Hardcover)
by J.C. Mackin, Ian McLean
Publisher: Microsoft Press; Bk&CD-Rom edition (August 13, 2003)
Language: English
ISBN: 0735614393

Also, for the terminal services section you mention, do you think it will be sufficient just to revise the terminal services material from the 70-290 Exam Cram book (which I already own)?

HutchHutchinson: all the best. Let me know how it goes.

Yes, that is the MS book. You have the right one. Mine is all beat up after much abuse. Like I said, Exam Cram does a great job of getting the basic concepts into your head. Your lab will re-inforce that knowledge. Test questions (I have been using Testking, PrepLogic and the MS question in the book *really hard*) will make you dig deeper and lead you to the MS book.

As far as Terminal Sevices goes, neither book really hits on them too much. I am going in with my working knowledge of Terminal Services (we use it in our office to connect users to our ERP package). Seriously, there is like 2 pages on Terminal Sevices in the MS book. Exam Cram doesn't mention it either...but all my test have a few quesitons about it.

I will post information after I take the exam tomorrow to let you know my take on the "evil, most terrible, exam."

HutchHutchison
A+, Network+, MCP

Thanks.

I have just ordered that book, but I live in Japan and it is going to take a while to get that item from abroad. Hopefully it will arrive a few days before I sit the exam.

In the meantime I am going to continue with my Exam Cram, Preplogic tests, and experiments with the test server.

All the best tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back