Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Study Aid for VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanJordan

Programmer
Sep 15, 2005
US
Hello,

I have a job interview this Thursday. I'm particularly interested in this job because it involves VB6 and will also provide a platform for learning .Net.

The hiring manager has said, "Be ready to answer technical questions regarding VB6 programming, including use of ADO, XML, control binding techniques, and more. We generally perform a technical test at the end of the interview which involves a couple of typical examples of what we ask programmers to do here."

With the exception of an occasional database, I've been away from programming for 4+ years. When I got my Microsoft VB6 certification, I used Transcender to study, and found it useful. I no longer have that material. Brainbench does not offer VB6. Can anyone suggest a resource(s) that will help me to do well on the technical tests?

Also, links to posts that you feel would be particularly helpful will most appreciated.

Many thanks [thumbsup2],
Alan

I used Transcender too to get mine. Since you have that background, you can probably refresh quite effectively with the Microsoft VB6 doc, which is carefully hidden away at
Things that come to mind with the examples that you give are knowing how to save an ADO recordset as an xml file and manual binding of controls. Most people don't recommend specifically binding controls in the VB6 environment, but you may run into a shop that uses some form of binding and swears by it. A way to deflect that situation is to say something like "while familiar with most forms of binding, I nearly always use manual binding personally. What do you guys do?"

Enjoy!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your insights. I'll review the Microsoft documentation later, but it's been my experience from long ago that this documentation left something to be desired.

I'm looking for a way to quickly test my knowledge and pinpoint areas of weakness (which unfortunately are probably many right now. Alas, if I still had the VB6 Transcender software (which is no longer available) it would be perfect.

I did find this site which has a short ADO tutorial and a downloadable example.

I found this site, which offers a course with self-assessment for the .NET environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back