Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Students losing files saved in network folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccdriver

Instructor
Apr 25, 2002
US
I recently added 2 new computers running XP Pro to our school computer lab. Our network is a domain and students are encouraged to save their work on the network as opposed to the local machines. (Although I often suggest they make a backup copy on the local machine anyway.) Their network folders can only be accessed by them since they need a password to log on.

Now students who have logged on these XP machines, have lost the entire contents of their network folder. This affects work they have done in various subjects so this is a serious matter.

I also use an XP Pro machine but have not lost anything from my folder. I don't know if it makes a difference but of course my account is an admin. account and I have added my account to the local machine I use.

My student were added to the local Power User group on the XP machines so they can use "legacy programs" which they would not be able to use otherwise. I did NOT add them as users to the machine since students don't always use the same computer and that would mean adding 100 or more students to each XP machine.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back