Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stuck Pixels - suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
Hi,

I recently purchased a new 19" wide screen monitor which has a stuck pixel. I've tried a few things:

* turning the monitor off, applying pressure to the pixel with a stylus, then turning it back on,

* massaging the pixel and around it,

* using a utility called JScreenFix for 24 hours

None of the above have had any effect on the pixel, but I am not giving up yet, as the pixel is not dead...it is just stuck on red.

I would have got this replaced under warranty, however this was old stock from a supplier interstate, so I got it for AUD$100. I guess I can't complain for the price I paid, it is just the fact that it is not perfect.

Any suggestions?

Depends on two things:
Is it still under manufacturers warranty and
Does the manufacturer have a zero dead pixel gaurantee? some do.

Some will only swap out if the screen exceeds a set number others on the other hand have far stricker policy and will swap out if ANY pixels are dead or stuck.
Worth ringing up and checking (not with the shop but the manufacturers local support/warranty Tel Number)
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Another idea...don't look at it. But I know this is impossible, as once you know about it your eye goes there like it's a magnet [smile]. Sorry I can't help either.

Tony

Users helping Users...

It's not uncommon to find at least one stuck pixel for shipping, temperature changes, and the like...

A lot of this stuff is just trying to heat up/move the liquid in the screens (LCD - liquid crystal display) - stuck pixels and dead pixels are a result of it being not quite uniform. Another thought is to maybe turn the screen upside down and hold it a little while (while off), maybe even shake it gently.

Screen fix utilities like JScreenFix are always pretty iffy, but if you want you can try something else that does a different pattern or action (another one I have alternates the screen from green/blue/red very quickly, incidentally 2 of my stuck pixels are gone from testing it) - I think the main goal of such action is to try to run a hardware burn-in (not to be confused with screen burn-in) on the monitor.

Hopefully you figure out something...here's a page that might have more ideas

Marker pen. "Dead" pixel is less annoying than a wrong pixel.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

As far as I know a 'Stuck Pixel' is not really different to a dead pixel except it's only one / two of the colours that are at fault (each pixel is made up of three), this is generaly still a component issue (normally a transistor) and although these can come life again will this last or will it go again for good one day after the warranty expires?

I would find out the manufactures warranty policy on dead pixels and see if it can be swapped out.

Adrian Paris

Paris Engineering Ltd

- Tech forum dedicated Google search, find answers faster by not searching the junk.

Thanks for the advice. Mistusbishi said that they will swap it, providing I take it to one of their repairers.

The closest repairer is 30Km away, and I have been unable to reach them, so I don't think I'll bother.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back