Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Strong key signing in visual studio 2005 with vb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrhaynes

Technical User
Oct 27, 2006
US
My application is self signed with a strong key. I don't remember the password. After 2 years of running and compiling perfectly, visual studio 2005 suddenly demanded to know the password for the strong key in the project before it would compile. Its never happened before but now it won't compile without turning off the signing entirely. Other projects have the same key and work perfectly. I tried to remove the old key using 'exclude from project' and to re-make a new one. It still demands to know the old key password when I compile. How can I remove the old key from a vb project so they I can make a new one? The help on the specific error goes to the page "...not every error has a help...

Maybe you could share the key from one of your other projects, as discussed in this article:

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Interesting article which has some more ways of adding keys that I will try and that may keep the project from getting stuck on a key that seems unremovable. The first step however is un-keying the project so that the old key is gone for good. Seemed like there was no way to do this but by brute force. I saved a copy of the project file then I opened the project file in a text editor and removed the two lines that seemed related to the key name. Dangerous but worked. Adding a new key was simple once the old one was removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back