Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Stroke my Pen Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvjery

Programmer
Nov 20, 2007
US
I'm so !@#$ frustrated with photoshop CS3 I can't see straight. ALL I'm trying to do is create a line using the pen tool and "stroke" it. I create a line using the pen tool in "shape layers," but when I finish, the "edit > stroke" command in the menu is grayed-out. What gives?

...few things...

...set a foreground color...

...decide whether to use the brush or pencil, set it to a size and tip style...

...draw you line in path mode, the icon next to shape mode in the top tool bar...

...shape mode asks for closed paths, so use path mode instead...

...then target a layer, go to the paths palette, ensure the path is selected in the paths palette, in the flyout menu of the paths palette you have stroke there...

...you need to set the size of the stroke by changing the brush or pencil size before stroking a path, and also selecting a foreground color you want to use...

...edit > stroke will stroke live selections...

Andrew

...do also note there is a line tool in the top bar you can use in shape mode if all you want is a straight line...

...this creates a shape layer that you can change color and edit the live path...

...stroking paths requires a bit more forethought...

Andrew

Thanks all. I think I got it.

A rather convoluted routine for doing something that should be so simple. Certainly not very intuitive - leave it to Adobe to complicate a simple process. Makes me miss the good ol' days when PS was all raster based.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back